Rod & Robby

Zesko

I just picked up this still/postcard from the old Twilight Zone series, which shows the chop-job they did on Robby for one episode... Like a metal shop lobotomy, they emptied out Robby's beautiful brains and installed what looks like an institutional size lima bean can. I've seen this episode a few times, always painful, and wondered where to find more detailed pix and an explanation of the Twilight Zone overhaul... Anybody?

post-2-1045029552_thumb.jpg

Yes the show is called Uncle Simon. And they did not modifie Robbys head, they actualy built up a seperate head. The T zone robby head is in the Bill Malone collection right now. and I have also built a full scale reproduction of it that says the lines from the show. My old web site used to have pictures of the head I built but I don't think the new site does. but on page4

of the robot hut tpy collection you can see the 16 inch version of the T zone Robby that I built that includes the leg brace and cane.

Yeah, "Uncle Simon"...a rich and eccentric old inventor dies and leaves the robot to his greedy heirs, with the stipulation that they must care for the robot forever. And then it turns out that Uncle Simon somehow transplanted his mind and personality into the robot, so he would live forever, much to the horror of his heirs. Funny to see Robby the Robot with a leg brace and cane, limping around, demanding a cup of tea every so often. But why didn't they just use the original Robby? I don't think the modification added anything to the story, and it certainly didn't disguise the robot...

The origional robby sute was almost never used as it was shown in Forbidden Planet or the Invisible Boy. For example on Lost in Space the Heart box stuff was replaced with 3 sequental lights, On the T Zone show not only did the use a different head but they turned the body upside down, On the Addems family show and Hazel show they did leave Robby stock, on the Love boat show they replaced the leg section with a drum on wheels, On the Columbo show they replaced the legs with a taller roller pedistal and changed the heat box stuff, on project UFO they changed the head and made other small mods, Well I could go on but the the last thing I will add is that Robbys 9 neon voice tubes only worked the way they did in Forbidden Plant (individualy controled) on all the other shows all 9 of the neon tubes were either turn ON or OFF like the B9 robot when it talks. But here is a update for you all, there is a Movie that comes out later this year called LOONY TUNES it is both live action and CGI and the origional Robby the Robot costum is used in the film and I was called on to build the 9 neon drives and control circuits so that Robby could talk like he did in Forbidden Planet. You can do a search for the movie and read about it.

Yes the StarLog Robby blue print poster. It has been around almost 30 years. Non of the drawings are studio blue print drawings. They were all Fan drawn, some by Bill Malone in the 1970s. I do like that it shows many of the different robby designs and it is a nice drawing to hang on the wall but don't use them to build from as they are not correct.

Archived