Horikawa Radar Robot

Zesko

Joe K. had questions about the Horikawa Radar Robot a few weeks ago... So this week it's my turn, since I just picked one up with box. Here are Radar's listed "automatic actions" from the box:

• Stop N Go

• Rotating Antenna

• Radar Catches the "Scene of Moon" on the Big Screen

• Realistic Noise

Does anyone know if this description excludes swinging arms? Is Radar Robot supposed to have motorized swinging arms, or are they just dangling fixtures? The box art depicts the arms in action, but you know how that goes.

And I don't know what kind of "realistic noise" it's supposed to make, but it makes a real noise.

Also, the seller very generously included 2 of the detachable plastic antennas. They seem to be exactly identical, except for the color and composition of the plastic. One is sort of transluscent lemon yellow. The other is opaque chrome yellow (which is about the color of a Yield sign or school bus). I assume that one of them is the original and the other is a repro, but which one is which?

post-2-1044341493_thumb.jpg

I have one as well and I've repaired a few so I know what's inside.

The actions are walk, stop, play movie, repeat...

The arms do not move by themselves, they are merely screwed

onto the chrome shoulder disks. The only sound is that made

is by the motor and gears, there is no noise maker inside.

This aside, it is one of my favorite TV robots, due to the

movie travelling vertically. The graphics are very strong and

bright and the vertical movement gives the impression of

a lift off. As for the antennas, the original ones I've seen have

been bright yellow, opaque and made out of that waxy

fexible plastic.

www.robotnut.com

spacex-0.jpg

That is the best use of a rotating scene on any TV style Robot. What you

see is a fly-over of the surface of the moon. Much like Apollo 8 did in '68. When I took mine apart to fix, I thought the scene was distorted but because of the curve of the rotating drum, the scene looks normal when viewed through the chest window. I don't know which came first from Horikawa but the other ones show the Lunar Lander coming down and look distorted. I think a lot of thought went into the TV scene pictured.

Yes, indeedy, the TV space scene is rather extraordinary, as the moon "expands" to fill the screen, then you fly off over the lunar horizon back into space (and repeat). I'm glad the arms are static... I wasn't quite sure if they should be. And, judging from the pictures above, I think the chrome yellow antenna is the real deal... It looks much better than the lemon yellow, anyway. Who is it in Japan that currently sells authentic repro parts for Horikawa? Is it Metal House? Thought I'd check with them on the antenna color.

Archived