My Collection's Online

dratomic

Well, I've finally gotten some of my collection online. Actually, it's just the vintage pieces, and then a couple other random ones (including the Thunder mod John did for me). None of the real small stuff for now. The rest are on the way, but my brain is fried from something like 12 hours of coding over the last two days (plus photo shop work, copy writing... oh yeah, and my job, etc.).

If you feel like it, point your browsers to www.atomicbox.net/dratomic/drhome.html. From there, just click on "Robots."

Besides the robot section, there's a "bio" relating to the persona I take on when playing in my band (the whole site is an offshoot of my band's web site - the "personal pages," if you will). The bio is sort of a weird, conspiracy-ladden sci-fi extravaganza that, I hope, proves entertaining to whoever cares to check it out. There's also a pretty ecclectic links section.

Like most web pages, it's a work in progress, so any suggestions or comments will be appreciated; just email them directly to me. Also, if anyone would like their own collections added to my links section, please let me know. I'll be happy to do so.

Thanks.

Nice start for a first time web page!!!!!!! Has a real nice look to it. Time to enlist my son's help to start one of my own one day.

Thanks. I had done some basic coding back in college; that was a few years ago and I'd since grown rusty. And I had no idea how to do tables, which the site really required (it's how I kept the three elements - the nav bar, the body text, and the robot list - separate). So I just ripped off the code from my band site and tweaked it to work for my personal pages.

If you're looking for a good, easy to use book on html coding, check out Eizabeth Castro's HTML for the World Wide Web. The nice thing about it is that the pages are divided in half, with one side explaining what you're doing, and the other illustrating the actual code. On the next page, there's an pic of what the web page should look like on the screen. There's also a whole section on basic definitions - exactly what IS html, etc.

HTML is very easy to learn - it's nothing like C+ or anything like that (which I know nothing about). It's very intuitive, and you can pick it up quick. It's really worth the effort since it's a great way to show off your collection.

Or, as Steve suggested, just get your kids to do it for you! :)

Or pick up an intuitive, object-oriented Web page layout app, such as MS FrontPage or NetObjects Fusion (to name but a couple). Sling your pages together anyway you want, desktop publishing style, then generate the entire HTML code with the push of a button. True, it does help to know a little HTML for tweaking purposes.

Archived