Olive Green Planet Robot

dratomic

I just purchased an olive green planet robot with metal head and hands (wind up, in case there's any confusion). I was under the impression that this was a fairly rare robot, but in the last week I've seen three (the one I got, one other on ebay, and one other owned by the guy who sold me mine). Until now, I hadn't seen any of the all metal planets AT ALL except in pictures and other people's collections.

I'm just curious as to the scarcity of all metal planet robots in general, and the green one in particular.

Thanks.

dratomic,

scale of 1 to 10, it's a 6.

every collector i know, has either 1, 2 or 3. not as rare as everyone raves, but a nice bot nevertheless.

my humble opinion...as always.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Dratomic-Robot Polishing His Rocket is correct in his rarity evaluation. Prior to ebay this was considered a tough find-since ebay-has shown up with regularity. There is(bad paint mix day)a lighter army green color which is tougher to find.

As to your other question-the original all metal black Planet Robot(PR) is difficult to find. The earliest wind-up and first generation remote had thicker more blockier leg pressings than the next generation thin legged ones. The rarest Planet robots are the wind-up blue(not remote)first generation with tin hands and first and second generation blue wind-up with the rubber hands.(still looking for a rubber handed blue version). Theres a maroon colored remote version with textured radicon like finish which I have only seen show up in europe. Planet robot probaly had the longest run of any tin production robot beginning in the late fifties right into the the final plastic handed and headed version(only one I do not like)into the seventies(some say even longer).

Thanks for the info, guys. Steve, I noticed the blue wind up in that picture you posted before - very cool. Blue's my favorite color, so I suppose that's one more I'll have to start hunting for. I don't even want to think about how much that one will cost me. :)

Archived