Sy And Noguchi

Fineas J. Whoopie

Just having purchased a green Mighty robot, I was comparing mine to recent sales and I found that both SY and Noguchi seemingly have produced the same robot and box, the only difference I can see from the pictures is the mark.

Utilizing a favorite resource, I went to the robot reference page here on alphadrome and found robots filed under SY, but credited to Noguchi. And the only green paddle style mighty is listed as Noguchi.

Here are my Questions-

Are they the same company or related?

Are they equally common?

Was one (sy mighty or Noguchi mighty) released before the other?

Anybody who can shed some light on any of these questions Has my thanks in advance.

Fineas J. - No adequate answer for you at all - but there had been many companies involved in the tintoy production after ww2 in japan. Confusing is, that some companies had produced the toys, others had ordered the producing, others had distributed the items in japan & others had distributed them overseas. For a long time I thought (for example) that SH = Horikawa had produced the robots themself - now we know, that metalhouse (marumiya) had build many SH robots.

Nevertheless - the little N or SY robots are still some of my favorites - Great lithoes !! We know that the green mighty robot is the most wide spread old tin robot of all - but what would be the price, if only 3 known to exist ? - 10k ?? . . . the green litho is fantastic !!

My green one is marked N & N is the box marked too, the blue one is only marked " made in japan" the box says: " frankonia - seal of approaved toys; the silver one is marked SY and on the box both: SY made in japan & frankonia too.

Thats a toughie-Lets start by saying Frankonia was simply an importer(Franconia Products,Inc. New York) SY stands for Yoneya (trademark used 1950-64). Noguchi Shoten Co. Ltd I believe was a seperate company. I'll try to get to the bottom of this. (info courtesy of the book Japanese Toys by William Gallagher).

A bit of a mystery eh? Well thats even more stimulating than getting the whole story right off.

One thing I do know now (if I understand correctly) is that mine, being from Yoneya, dates back to 1964 or earlier.

I know those split leg versions are less common and I love the boxes, are they like hens teeth with box these days? or is setting my sights on one with box popping up on ebay a reasonable expectation?

Thanks for your input and the pics Dirk.

And steve, if you do find anything further, I would really like to hear about it!

Archived