Horikawa Blue Radar Robot..arms Search...help!

honestjoe

Hi everyone....i bought a mint condition..well almost horikawa radar robot ...beautiful condition...without arms!!!....a year later i bought another one over the net...when it arrived it was a blue radar robot alright..but someone had sprayed it again with blue glitter spray...even the arms...noooo!..i said...anyway i"m looking for a pair for this guy...its seems strange that the arms were missing but came with the all but rare yellow ariel....any ideas?......oh by the way i tried to remove the glitter paint with acetone..it was the only thing available to me to try..it worked a treat on the rest of the robot leaving the original paint still glossy and restorable but it was stuck to the arms like sh*t and although i got it off it paled the original colour!...........maybe i will have to wait until one come up on the bay the back rotted out....i said that two years ago....i know good things come to those who wait....but where do i wait?.... hj.

post-220-1144257819.jpg

There has been extensive and narcotic discussion on the various ways of removing paint.

If you open a thread at random, you have a 33 % change it is concerned with paint removal,

(32 % it is a robot by John and 30 % one by me..)

The arms to most of the Horikawas are the same as the ubiquitous Star Strider.

So get some arms, either glitteresque or from the star-S., clean them, take robot to

car paint dealer (Duplicolor has an extensive range) and ask the salesman to find

the matching paint to the body.

By the time you go there for the third time to buy the same colour, you will have gained valuable

experience in paint removal.

Remember all solvents are toxic and pass through kitchengloves etc.

Thanks for the reply...the arms in question are coloured plastic so they really need to be replaced to bring this bot up to display standard....i wonder if any other horikawa robot/range carries the same arms ..plastic and blue...i cant say i have ever seen another one with this colour...i"ll post a picture of the bot ...thanks h.i.gosses..hj..................forgive colour...he is blue!!!!

post-220-1144261285.jpg

Joe, as far as I know, this is the only Horikawa robot with

blue plastic arms of this size. I would take Henk's advice

and have them painted. If you buy a third robot for parts,

you will have likely spent more than a whole robot would

have cost. This is unless you find some suitable arms

cheap. I don't know what these robots sell for currently,

but I bought mine a few years ago for $100 mint, but no

antenna... B)

IPB Image

Hi ....everything you chaps say makes sense....if i but another one i will always be a restoration behind and probably always will....if it was the black version of this robot i would not be so determined but the blue one seems to be a little thinner on the ground...i"m not an astronaut face collector as such but this was my first horikawa to win on the bay and would love to finish him in all his glory....i do appreciate the replies people...hj..

:) Ahh, Honestjoe, now that's where you can get in trouble with a hobby! When sentiment and passion cloud the way, you could be driven to spend more than you should on the piece. My advice is to buy a mint blue one and then tell everyone that IT is the first one that you won on Ebay! Keep the nice radar dish of course. Sell this one and the glitterbot, they are desirable enough that you will recoup some if not all of your cash back. If you paint the arms, they will always be painted, not molded blue as they should. However, as one last resort, try to clear coat the discolored arms with some clear paint, glossy or maybe semigloss, to see if that brings the color back to the proper blue. If this proves satisfactory, disregard my above advice! -Larry 7

Hi larry..always good to get a reply from your good self.....i reckon i will put the arms back on the glitterbot and sell on...and sit tight for the right opportunity to arise..(such optimism)...thats agood idea to clear coat the arms..i have afeeling they are beyond redemption....as for being smitten by my hobby....all i have to say is "i love my robots and they love me"......i think?...hj.

:) Ahh, Honestjoe, now that's where you can get in trouble with a hobby! When sentiment and passion cloud the way, you could be driven to spend more than you should on the piece. My advice is to buy a mint blue one and then tell everyone that IT is the first one that you won on Ebay! Keep the nice radar dish of course. Sell this one and the glitterbot, they are desirable enough that you will recoup some if not all of your cash back. If you paint the arms, they will always be painted, not molded blue as they should. However, as one last resort, try to clear coat the discolored arms with some clear paint, glossy or maybe semigloss, to see if that brings the color back to the proper blue. If this proves satisfactory, disregard my above advice! -Larry 7

aaaaammmmmeeeennnn!!! what he said!!

Archived