Astronaut Head Mars King Robot

Keith Palmer

3132464143 -- I don't recall seeing this one with the human head. Box and toy match, too. Is this rare, or I do I have to start poring over my books again?

hi keith,

i'm bidding on this one right now.

YEP! it's the rarer of the 2 variants.

Now then, whilst on the subject of Mars Kings, the robot that's got the lot , look at those tracks RPHR. They always look to have these deep tracks fitted but I don't think the originals were like that , were they???? :D

pretty sure those are the originals. no sign of the original metal clips, however, that connect the ends of the rubber tread.

I'm not so sure Keith. I seen some others somewhere that were a lot flatter and a gloss type finish.

I bought one not long ago and the seller said that he thought the tracks were original but in the original box under the tissue paper I found some spare bits that had been cut off to make the right length.

I emailed the seller thanking him for the spare bits, I got no reply. Smashing Robot though!!!! :o

I've owned several Mars King robots and to replace the tracks all you have to do is go to ToysRUs and buy any large yellow outdoor construction toy like a crane or earth shovel (you know what brand I'm talking about!) that has large black rubber tank treads. Take off the treads and split them down the middle with a razor blade and use wide Heavy Duty Springline T-30 Staples to connect them and bingo! Good as new and they fit the wheels perfectly and look like originals.

Pat - That's a great tip. Perhaps you can re-post it under the "Tips & Tricks" section, so it doesn't get lost.

i assume the tracks are original...they look it.

i've got 2 mars kings, but 1 of them, has a perished/worn set of tracks. so it's difficult to see if there were any slight variations in the manufacture of the treads.

to me though, in my humble opinion, there originals.

Robothunter, instead of staples, have you tried Super Glue ?

If it's real rubber the bond will be stronger than the rubber.

I have a friend that makes excellent replacement treads

like the linked ones on the box art...

www.robotnut.com

post-2-1054863052_thumb.jpg

These are the flat and glossy ones I was thinking about. I would have thought the originals would have looked more like these. :)

Robotnut - I actually used the staples to attach the treads end-to-end because I thought it looked a little like the original metal connectors that Horikawa used. Since the original treads were not one peice, I thought my replacement shouldn't be either. But you are right that glue does make for a better bond. If I ever make these again (and that would mean I've gone back to collecting Horikawa robots all over again!) I will glue for strenght AND staple for cosmetics. I tried making a couple of connectors like the originals out of sheet tin using a pair of snips but they always came out crummy looking to tell you the truth!

Archived