Another Bizarre Ebay Ending

robot polishing his rocket

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...tegory=733&rd=1

a couple of second before the end of this auction, this little guy was $301 (reserve well and truly met).

then...BANG!!!!...$1,505 all of a sudden!

of course, the -1 feedback high bidder, is going to turn out to be nothing more than a complete deadbeat.

but take a look at the under bids. i thought this little chap with box, sold for $450-500, and no more?

interesting, very interesting!

Interesting... I checked the feedback form for the high bidder only to find that the one negative feedback left for him was by a person who's feedback rating is listed as "private." So I checked that person's feedback, just to see what private means. Turns out you can see his or her feedback rating, but you can't read any of the comments.

Now... what the heck is that all about? I've never seen anything like it...

This one just gets weirder and weirder. :huh:

What if one found his/herself in trouble from time to time and needed a way out of winning an auction?

Might a dishonest person keep a separate identity for the purpose of "bailing" out of an auction?

You could keep a user id just for negative feedback.

Funny how close those two highest bids were dont you think?

eeerrrrrmmmmm...an honest seller would simply turn off the auction wouldn't he?

i mean, a seller can stop an auction whenever, so why would one resort to these tactics?

makes no sense.

still, i suppose, there has to be some sort of method within the madness, if this happens to be true.

unless he wanted to attain POSITIVE feedback for his second handle.

Ok, I didnt do a very good job of explaining what I meant. sorry. let me try again-

Say I want to win an item and I bid really high, but for some reason I change my mind. maybe I win another auction that I want more and I don't have the money for both. Now I wish someone would outbid me. If I have a seperate user ID that I don't care about trashing the feedback on, then I could use that one to out-bid myself.

This is just what crossed my mind when I saw the difference between the third highest bid and the last two. there was none of the usual incremental stepping.

It seems that two bidders were bidding foolishly and one is in the clear, and the other has nothing to lose by backing out.

Just thinking out loud, really.

Post script-

I just checked and saw that the winning bid came in before the second highest bid. This blows my theory! -oh well.

Is it possible to have two user I.D's? I tryed like heck to get my own ebay name and had to settle for my wifes. If anyone checked my feedback, they would see a lot of robots wearing baby clothes.

post-2-1054116258_thumb.jpg

Papatoad - your wife is obviously a very progressive woman to marry an Amphibian-American like yourself. :)

Anyway, according to some info I read on the ebay help site, you can have two IDs, but you can't bid against yourself or anything like that. I don't know how you'd set it up - maybe two different credit cards or something.

You only need a credit card if you want to sell. all you need to set up a user ID, for the purpose of buying, is access to an email address that does not allready have a ebay user ID registered with ebay. if you wanted more than one, then some one who was a scammer might have to make up the personal information for the second one. I'm not sure if ebay compares that info for duplacation between members. but if someone did not plan on following through on wins for the second one then they would want to fabricate the personal info anyway.

So someone could set up a phoney user ID on their work computer, or on grandma's who doesn't trade on ebay, etc.

All this disscusion is strictly theoretical, of course

For this particular auction I know for a fact that the underbidder did not use a 2nd user name to "get out of a high bid". His high(but not winning bid)was more than the item is worth-but we have all been guilty of sometimes overpaying in an auction situation.

As stated above if you use two seperate computers with different email addresses you can set up more than one ebay user name. I'm sure that there are many ways to do this. When someone stole my identity on ebay to list false auctions under my user name(over$20,000 worth!!!!which ebay did nothing about to stop)I set up another account at the office to try to win the items in these bogus auctions. Wouldn't you know it I got sniped on both of them and then had to scramble quickly with emails to warn the winners and underbidders(half of whom were schills)

Guest robot with a huge red knob

aaahhhh...ok. now i get it guys.

an example in the making, right here and now.

one minute, i'm buffing up my turbines, the next, someone's playing with my switch.

ok...ok. SORRY GUYS, i'm going to stop this "double entendre" stuff. it's just so cheap. :P

Archived