I Had Never Seen This One!

spirou

Guest Brian

A real rarity. Never even suspected that it existed. Here's the picture (so it doesn't vanish when the auction ends!)

post-2-1051637099_thumb.jpg

I wonder if the seller knew what a rare find they had ?

This guy appears to be a seller of old photos and nik-naks.

$9.99 opening bid, no reserve, 9 days to go and our friend

OZ is already up to $900 . I've checked all my books and

faded memories and have not seen this one either. Don't

you just love boats with wheels, I wonder if it floats... :rolleyes:

www.robotnut.com

I must admit, super rare, I have seen this only one time in over 20 years of robot collecting, very nice box and colours.......

but, in my personal opinion.... too much vehicle for the robot. The function is not interesting at all and the toys theme "War boat" does the rest.

There are much more beautiful Robots out there on vehicles (Robotrac bulldozers for example, not rare but at least a robot with moving arms steering the vehicle. )

If I had the choice beween an old robot I like and dont have in my collection, even for the similar price I would not choose this rare boat (...just for trading or reselling, of course..ha ha or in case I really have everything else in my collection and a few thousands left to spend without having to think....)

I know of one other example that has been in a collection for a long time. If you look closely the robot is very similiar to the robot found in the great Flying Space Saucer(wyse#214)also same aoshin origin. It's uniqueness makes this a very desirable item.

The real beauty of this is how it represents the next logical step in robot evolution...robots fighting our wars for us at the helm of large moving weapons of mass destruction. First the robots come in on boats and tanks and planes to destroy everything and then we send in robots on tractors and steamrollers and construction equipment to rebuild! It's EXACTLY what first attracted man to the idea of robots to begin with. Man, this toy is a winner on so many different levels I don't even know where to begin.

It's interesting to me that toy designers (and many sf writers) of the fifties and early sixties imagined robots DRIVING tractors, instead of just BEING robotic tractors... Or having robots wage war in human boats instead of just having the robots be the machines of war themselves. It really shows the somewhat naive innocence with which we looked at the ways robots would integrate themselves into society.

If you'll pardon the analogy, take the show Knight Rider. Imagine if Michael Knight were a robot driving a regular old Firebird... not nearly as interesting - or, in the long run, as revolutionary an idea - as making the Firebird itself a robot. (feel free to make your comments about David Hasselhoff's robotic acting now... :) )

The thing is, with Thunder robot, robotank-Z, and the various guns-in-chest Horikawa bots, robot designers made that next step, at least in terms of war machines.

• 2 weeks later...

$11,655!!!

WOW!

would anyone have ever imagined that?

the phrase, "more money that sense" springs to mind.

The guy that offered this must be floored. It was pretty obvious that he had no idea - probably thought he'd get $50-60 for it and call it a day. Now he has a story to amaze the grandkids:" Did I ever tell you about that robot I picked up for $20 dollars at a Garage Sale and sold for almost 12 Gs?" :P

Archived