Dodgy paint

zebedee

I've had my sy spaceman for a while now and I've always been worried by the paint on its ear pips and feet, it's almost like powder paint, but the pip on his head is a bright red is this a common thing, any help 

17284193666499211708420392541920.jpg

Thanks zzrobot, I've had it over 20yrs and its always been the same, I thought that the factory ran out of paint , thing is do I repaint it or leave as is ??

Hi, Zebedee. I have an identical Yoneya Mechanical Walking Spaceman (three pips, no rotating antenna), and his ear pips and feet are perfectly fine. So, it's not necessarily a common issue. My feeling is that, since it's not a particularly rare robot (though I have always loved its looks and action), you wouldn't be risking much by sanding, priming and repainting the faulty components -- and it would of course display better. Another option is to find a junker on eBay for twenty or thirty pounds/dollars and cannibalize its pips and feet. They show up pretty frequently. My two cen...I mean, pence.

Or you can usually find a repro for peanuts, and the parts are likely interchangeable.

Thank you for your kind help hymie, I saw another like it at a toy fair on Sunday thats what made me think dodgy paint. I will be looking at the reproduction robot but it might be easier to repaint. 

Some examples didn't came with good paint and i noticed that with One of my MH robots sometimes the Paint was almost at the end and because it's in production line there can bE some flaws ... I would get a red paint and do the job, it's a bit tricky because it's a spray can ( doesn't work if it's too close or too distant). 

Cheers jonydroid, I got some paints today so I'll be going for the repaint but I'm going to be hand painting as I'm terrible at spraying. 

2 hours ago, zebedee said:

Cheers jonydroid, I got some paints today so I'll be going for the repaint but I'm going to be hand painting as I'm terrible at spraying. 

I think it's the best solution the last time i did with black spray can i did a mess with an arm and i have to re-due everything again oh Boy 🤪😵‍💫

That doesn't look so terrible for a sixty year toy. I would leave it geniune as it is. Repainted parts will look strange IMO

Hi 6stelab9, you know I've had it for 20yrs now and never done anything to it and its always behind smaller robots so as not to see the feet so I guess another 20yrs won't hurt or until I find a mint one.