3d printed water clear parts

robothut

Recently I used PCBWAY to 3d print some parts for programable robot project of mine in water clear resin. They are amazing.

But it got me thinking. If you had 3d CAD files for hard to replace parts for your space toys and robot you could have new ones made.

Like a dome for a vintage Mechanized robot. Or blaster guns.

Here is pictures of the clear parts I had made from my STL files.

S4850001.jpg

S4850002.jpg

S4850004.jpg

S4850010.jpg

Are there size limitations? 

Be cool to have some custom display cases with rivets & other details 

like the toy name etched right on it 

I'd like to get my hands on the resin they're using, but I think they're keeping tight control of the stuff.

PCBWAY has the industrial machines, you know the Millon $ equipment.

I do not know if there is a size limit that would affect parts for toys, they do part for the industry so I think they can go as large as you can afford to go.

Price quotes are free and fast, just send them the files with how you want the parts made.

The do Metal electroplating of resin cast parts also. But the cost is very high for single parts, the price drops fast with quantity.

I plan on doing a test of there Nylon 3d printed parts "gears" next. The price is reasonable for single quantities of the custom gears I have designed so we will see.

https://pcbway.com/g/0p1pG8

Theoretically-Could you 3d print a complete clear robot-Like the Cragstan Ranger robot?? (the clear smoking one) That would be incredible-That is my all time dream robot to own-but a reproduction would be almost as good🤩

Yes you could do that, but the price for 3d printing things is not always based on the amount of resin or filament used it is mostly based on time the machine is tied up doing the project.

So the larger the part the longer the time so the higher the cost. They could be doing other jobs with the machine if it was not being used for the part you order. Now the way around this with a resin printer like the one they use for the clear parts is to order more parts. Resin printers like all 3d printers print 1 layer at a time, but unlike filament "FDM" printers that print 1 layer at a time and part at a time" resin 3d printers can print the entire build plate 1 layer at a time. So, making 1 part takes the same times as making say 2 or more parts. If you can max out the build plate with parts, then the time stays the same and now you only pay for the extra resin material.