HELP: Flashy Jim only does the Shuffle!?

RoboCopy

This guy arrived recently but his left leg seems to not move as well as his right one so he just shuffles in place. I’ve got no idea how to fix this but suspect John will have seen this issue many times before. Any help appreciated.

IMG_2945.jpeg

So when you say the Left leg does not move as well as the right, do you mean the walking action is not as good or do you mean the leg literally is not moving as much? If you mean the leg does not move as much then the crank that drives the leg and pin walking linkage is bent or the slots that the crank drive are bent "enlarged" so the crank does not drive them properly.

If you mean the leg moves just fine but the walking action is less, then it could be the round end of the pin walking linkage is damaged or dimples on the bottom of the foot are not griping properly

Here is a link to a 3d printed version of the robot I did. The video compares the tin toy with the 3d printed one.

Thanks John. I’ve had a closer look after having seen your video. I think his main issue is that he’s sluggish. He may come to live more after a few more tries.

I also noticed that his left foot has a few “things” on the bottom missing. They look like rubber studs to provide better grip, but I don’t want to prod the remaining ones to test as they look like they will come off if I did.

Photo circled are the studs , arrows where they are missing.

IMG_2952.jpeg

Hi RobotCopy! Yes, this robot is really not the most stable runner! At first glance, the little rubber pieces look like they were done "homemade"; but all the Flashy Jims I've seen so far have had these simple little rubber pieces under the feet. Manufacturing in the 50s was often very simple; and so they probably attached little rubber pieces by hand for a better grip. And as you can see my Flashy Jim is also missing 2 little rubber bits!

Flashy Jim 101a.JPG

13 hours ago, Dirk said:

Hi RobotCopy! Yes, this robot is really not the most stable runner! At first glance, the little rubber pieces look like they were done "homemade"; but all the Flashy Jims I've seen so far have had these simple little rubber pieces under the feet. Manufacturing in the 50s was often very simple; and so they probably attached little rubber pieces by hand for a better grip. And as you can see my Flashy Jim is also missing 2 little rubber bits!

Wow, look at those little rubber pieces in the corners of the feet. All these years I thought they were metal dimples so the pin walking action could just shuck and jive in place never making progress. Now I finally understand the design of this robot.