"Name Brand" Robot Relative Value?

Hymie

I'm curious whether anybody has any insight into whether robots (or "spacemen") that were marketed both by their Japanese manufacturers and by American companies (Cragstan, Linemar, etc.) are more desirable (and, therefore, more valuable) in their "pure" Japanese editions (condition of course being equal), or vice versa. I realize of course that in many cases the difference may only be in the box they're shipped in. Taking a not-particularly-rare toy for example, I have a nicely-preserved black Yoshiya Robot Space Trooper that has its original Cragstan box, and I've wondered whether the Cragstan logo on the box would have any impact on value (either way). Not that the value matters much to me at this point (if it ever goes up for sale, it will be my kids liquidating my collection after I'm gone!). My guess is that it's a wash, but I've always been curious about this.

Ove the many years I have seen some modest premiuem prices for a 'Jpapanese' box but not really for trademark differences. 

I'd think if there would be any difference, it would only be because one was more rare than the other. 

True David but in this instance doesn't always translate to more value - if I really wanted a particular robot  with box I'm not worrying too much about a trademark variation. Over the years I have spoken to collectors to consider this an interesting talking point (for instance I think there are atleast 3 different variations of Trademark designations on the Hook Robot)but not from a value stand point.

Thanks for you thoughts, gentlemen. I'm put in mind of my Easel Back Robot (Linemar variation) with the original Linemar Box. The toy is as common as oxygen, but I don't know that I've ever seen another one for sale with its original box (just my limited experience, I admit). Hence I paid a ridiculous price for it. In this case, I don't think it much mattered whether the toy (or, more to the point, the box) was marked Linemar or Yonezawa.

Here is my input to your thoughts-

you are right the Easelback is a quite common robot- still a beautiful classic and valuable robot.

Basically there is no difference of the robots other than the logo Linemar or Yonezawa, however the Linemar version is much more common as I guess it was on sale in large numbers in the USA.
Regarding the boxes there is a big difference as the Linemar box is made of very thin fragile one piece cardboard and having two flaps at the end. 

That might be the reason that is so extremely rare- in my case it took me more than 30 years collecting finding a decent one.

The Yonezawa box is a two piece box with top and bottom, more rigid cardboard. However it is also very hard to find as well also because the Yonezawa version is rare itself.

In both cases the value of the box easily multiplies the value of the robot three or four times (if value matters). Also the design and the lettering of boxes are different. 

Both boxes are pieces of art and well worth to be collected.

IMG_0507.jpeg.dbb91009bae6adfc4f47e5c2181cc36b.jpeg

Thanks for the explication (and the great pix), Gernot! Yes, I didn't meant to demean the Easel Back. He is beautiful, and has a particularly elegant (and relatively unusual) walking mechanism. And the box art, though simple, is wonderfully bold and pleasing, at least to my aesthetic sensibilities. For what it's worth, here's a couple of pics of mine. My box was missing the top flaps, so I just scanned the bottom and made a "tuck-in" top (didn't want to glue anything in permanently). Still displays nicely, I think. Thanks again.

Easel 1.jpg

Easel 2.jpg