Toy Robots Make Cameo Appearance in "The Professional" (1981 Movie)

Hymie

I would be shocked if quite a few Alphadrome members (especially those in France) were not already aware of this, but I searched the site as thoroughly as I know how and could find no related discussions, so I figured I'd risk a post.

I recently happened upon the 1981 French film "The Professional" (starring Jean-Paul Belmondo) and was very surprised to see that one of the characters in the movie is actually a toy robot collector. Indeed, in one long scene his collection is prominently visible -- and even referred to in the dialogue. I've dropped in five stills from the movie below (you can see some of the relevant dialogue in the English subtitles visible in a couple of the screenshots). Looks like most of the bots are from the late sixties and seventies, but it's a little hard to tell (I do believe I see a fifties Yoshiya Sparky on the coffee table, though). Again, I realize this is probably old news on this site, but I thought the folks who weren't aware might get a kick out of it (and maybe even want to rent the flick).

Prof10.jpg

Prof20.jpg

Prof30.jpg

Prof40.jpg

Prof50.jpg

• Hymie changed the title to Toy Robots Make Cameo Appearance in "The Professional" (1981 Movie)

Thanks hymie, some nice horikawas in the collection, hopefully see if I can find it something to watch over the weekend 

Yes, the collection looks to be strong in Horikawas. I'm guessing someone involved with the movie (director, producer, one of the actors) was a collector and they just worked them into the set decoration for texture. I know that Steve McQueen, for example, was an antique toy collector (Victorian tin litho and cast iron mostly -- no robots), and his toys appear in one of his movies (Bullitt, maybe -- can't remember). In this movie, the robots really just appear in one scene (but it's a pretty long scene) about 70 minutes in.

Nice you discovered this movie Hymie. I wrote a post about it in 2018 but the search function of the site presents a big problem that apparently hasn't been solved and which prevents to access to a big number of topics. Hope that can be correct soon. Something to do with archived topics that are excluded from the search function.

I could locate it via a google search.

Not sure if this link will work as it is from youtube, but works for me if you want to see the movie.

Bing Videos  Nope did not work.

Well just do a search for the movie you will find the link.

Yep, I was surprised i couldn't find any reference to it on the site. I've been a member of several affinity forums over the years (Martin guitars, Schwinn Stingrays, etc.), and members always got excited when the thing they collected showed up in a major motion picture. Thanks for the clarification!

By the way, I found it on (I think) a Russian site. Here's the link, if anybody's feeling brave, but I make  no guarantee that it's safe. So far my computer has not crashed and my savings account has not been emptied, but click at your own risk:

https://ok.ru/video/1348397894169

52 minutes ago, Hymie said:

Yep, I was surprised i couldn't find any reference to it on the site. I've been a member of several affinity forums over the years (Martin guitars, Schwinn Stingrays, etc.), and members always got excited when the thing they collected showed up in a major motion picture. Thanks for the clarification!

Yes I often get excited when there are toy robots in movies 🤣

I saw an old Alfred Hitchcock presents the other night and it had a chief robot man in it but can't remember the title of it. 

Towards the beginning of Time Bandits (1981), a piston robot makes a quick appearance.

Don't blink or you'll miss it!

timebanditslogo.JPG.a1f46dd4c952e9723393b3e4252f71cf.JPG

timebanditspistonrobot.JPG.1c0c3c2154ee4b526992622974fe7e3a.JPG