Using Repro Schylling or HaHa Piston/Pug Robby for Replacement Parts?

Hymie

Just wondering if anybody happens to know whether parts (dome, "antennae," and hands) from a Schylling or HaHa Robby piston/pug robot can be used as replacement parts on an original Nomura robot? Found one in great shape, for a great price, but missing the aforementioned parts. Since those repro parts would probably set me back a couple hundred dollars (at least) purchased individually, I wondered whether I could possibly just buy a complete repro robot for fifty or sixty bucks and cannibalize it. Anybody tried this?

I've wondered that too! The repros have been pretty nice, though not exactly the same, so I've never picked up an original.

Try robot Island, they have the reproduction robots and at good prices too 

Thought I'd close this loop with a happy ending. Just received my HaHa piston robot repro (got it for $39.99 with free shipping on eBay), and while I haven't finished repairs and reassembly, I can say that it looks like my gamble paid off. Initial fit of the clear plastic dome promises an entirely adequate (if not absolutely perfect) fit, but in my experience with repro parts, I'd say it fits as well as most - - there's just a slight mismatch where the vertical edges meet the recesses pressed into the front shell to receive them. In addition, the hands look like they'll be just fine (though I'll have to use my Dremel to remove them from the repro -- don't want to risk snapping off the balls taking them out). And the antennae look to be an easy transfer (though I might have to rig a bracket to support them on the inside). Incidentally, the horizontal antenna on the repro is rigged with a flexible spring shaft to make it rotate. I don't think the original had this functionality, so I'll respect the original design (if I'm mistaken about this, someone please let me know!). And best of all, the repro motor, with minor adaptation, will fit the original robot: Unfortunately, when I got inside the original, I was vexed to discover that the motor had issues well beyond a gunked up shaft and brushes. It was pretty well shot (shaft wouldn't even turn). I discovered this after I had ordered the repro, so I was hoping against hope that by some miracle I could also use the donor motor. So, for a little over $40 I got a repro dome, rubber hands, both antennae, and a replacement motor. Corresponding repro parts purchased individually would likely have set me back $300 or so.  Miracles still happen!

Or you could display the nice repro and put the rusty old mess in a box. Maybe the side strips from the original would fit on the repro. Nobody would know!

It is giving me pause to scrap the admittedly nice repro, but the original is really well-preserved cosmetically -- and the repro is more red than maroon (not as cool looking to me). And I guess I like the idea of preserving originals. I used to enjoy finding really ragged-out and-rusted-pedal cars for cheap and reclaiming them. Made me feel a little like I was some kind of historic preservationist. Same thing with this pug. That said, I think I am going to buy another repro pug for my 14-month-old granddaughter (box warnings to the contrary!). She loves my robots!

I think it's certainly worth a try.

I've used parts from reproduction Hi-Wheel robots on original ones and they match up perfectly!

Good luck!