Imai Space Patrol Robot Model Kit

roboz

I'd have it built abd display with box - It is a great looking robot....

That is a hard question. It would be so cool to see built up but it is also very cool to preserve the vintage robot kit as is for everyone to see. Any chance of finding a built up one to go with the it ? If not, then maybe have it professionally 3d scanned and resin print a built-up version. Or pay a Pro to 3d model it in CAD so it can be 3d printed.

I guess I would leave the kit as is, once it is built, it will never be a kit again.

Thats it robothut, I think if you built it you lose the rarity of the kit and I wouldn't think there's many left, get it 3d printed and display it next to the box 

"Once upon a time" and at the time was tough to sell. Went back to Japan.

IMG_1793.JPG

It's a beautiful kit, one we'd all love to own. If you build it there's one less for posterity. There is an alternative. 

I made some  larger format versions of this fellow based on a standard electric motor.  It would be possible to make a correct size (smaller)  copy but the mechanism would need some reworking.

patrol.jpg

The N20 motors should fit just fine, the slow RPM and maybe even the right-angle drive version would be a good fit.

They look really good Brian, would you lose much detail if they're made smaller .

7 hours ago, Brian.. said:

It's a beautiful kit, one we'd all love to own. If you build it there's one less for posterity. There is an alternative. 

I made some  larger format versions of this fellow based on a standard electric motor.  It would be possible to make a correct size (smaller)  copy but the mechanism would need some reworking.

patrol.jpg

Brian would love to have one 

On 7/23/2024 at 10:43 AM, robothut said:

That is a hard question. It would be so cool to see built up but it is also very cool to preserve the vintage robot kit as is for everyone to see. Any chance of finding a built up one to go with the it ? If not, then maybe have it professionally 3d scanned and resin print a built-up version. Or pay a Pro to 3d model it in CAD so it can be 3d printed.

I guess I would leave the kit as is, once it is built, it will never be a kit again.

Ideally I'd find a loose one

or a built one 

I don't think I would molest this kit

No significant detail would be lost, Zebedee.

What height is the main component of the robot from the base to the top of his head, Ozzie?

On 7/25/2024 at 5:52 AM, Brian.. said:

No significant detail would be lost, Zebedee.

What height is the main component of the robot from the base to the top of his head, Ozzie?

I will measure it this weekend

The built up kit is just 5 1/4 inches tall. (Thanks Ozzie) That's about the size of the leg on my large version.