Blue Tulip

David Kirk

What's the story with this fellow? Is he home-made, or is he a sample or some such? It seems to me I've seen a picture at some point, but I don't recall much about it. I've always thought the usual one was a great concept, but just a bit ugly. This one is wonderful.

Blue Tulip.jpeg

David, your photo most probably shows Marco‘s repro of the prototype that had been shown in a Nomura catalog. So, not Marco‘s free invention but one of his careful recreations based on original manufacturer’s documents.

Find the whole story and the catalog photo in the link posted by MetalRobotHead. Think Marco had posted same info and pics here in this forum as well.

That's a really interesting article, I much prefer the blue version that marco made over the finished version that we know today, would like to see the topolino prototype done 

Thanks, That all seems familiar now. I wonder how this ended up at Smith House?

Wow - that one looks really nice.

Another great effort to bring a prototype back to life. Great Marco!

On 6/16/2024 at 4:44 PM, Dirk said:

Another great effort to bring a prototype back to life. Great Marco!

Yes I think this build was wonderfully executed by Marco! It's a shame that the blue Nomura prototype never made it into production. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mikejf said:

Somebody wanted it bad. $32,000!

Hard to wrap my head around that. Its a fantasy piece. What do I know...

My understanding is the piece is airbrushed 

You can probably achieve the same look 

with decals & clear coat 

Wonder if a foreign bidder misunderstood the description

as these were posted on his site for sale for a fraction of that price

You'd need at least two bidders to have gotten it wrong. Are they available on his site now? I think it's a great looking toy, and it gives me hope for my own efforts in that area. Usually, I think collectors want what's been manufactured and they've seen at auctions or in books for years. The high end guys seem to be interested in what has been long established competition on rare pieces. I have heard tell of very high prices on some of the robots I made, and if that holds it would be worth my while to make more.