Christmas 1962

David Kirk

I got both these fellows and a printed silver sparky Christmas morning. I couldn't part with them long enough for the day trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house, or maybe I needed to show them off. I'm pretty sure this was the year I got Operation Orbit at Grandma's or maybe that was 1963. She decorated her philodendron  rather than buying a Christmas tree - Pretty cool grandma, I think. This photo turned up in an album that resurfaced recently. I'd never seen it. By the time this picture was taken my collection was comprised of the first Mr. Mercury, These two, a sparky, a moon explorer (the little red astronaut), chief robot man, a blue Space Conqueror, Marx Electric robot and son, a space whale, a space elephant, the big orange BO flying saucer, and Mr Atomic.  Pretty good for a seven year old!  If I'd been smarter I'd have picked up both versions of the Rosko Astronaut the next day for half price at the discount store. I bought a pom-pom space tank instead. 

Robots for Christmas 1962.jpg

I love these vintage photos showing the toys being used as intended. 😀👍 Yeah, and what a great support you have had to get that superb early collection.

Great photo and amazing to read how your memory is able to piece things together.

Shame about the missed out Roskos, should have been 2 reds btw.

What was in that big box your baby brother got?

You were probably a very good boy to received those toys from Santa. Thanks for sharing this picture.

• 4 years later...

Wow, David. That photo is magic (stumbled across the post poking around on the site just now). As you and I are roughly the same age (you've got a shade over two years on me, I think), it brings back fond memories of my own early-sixties Christmases (except that, as I have lamented in an earlier post, I never got a robot for Christmas -- much less three!). And I too remember having to head over to Christmas dinner at one or another relative's house and having to pick one or two of my new toys to take with me. Love the philodendronbaum!