Fantastic Soviet robot prototype

Tinplate6

I came across a photo of an incredible toy robot prototype from Soviet Russia 1960-1970. I do not know for sure if it was ever produced, but this just begs to be brought back to life as an actual toy. I can see this in bronze with a white face, light up eyes and a rotating antenna. The space in the chest contains a circular area and a smaller diagonal box...the round area could be a color wheel, a TV screen or contain moving gears. I suppose the hardest part would be creating the clear faceplate and chest. I like the leg/foot design and the spring-loaded claws. I'm guessing the dark gumdrop under the eyes might be a red nose or mouth that could light. It's fantastic!

ROB_1970032.jpg.762032f8ddda2d27dee62e95ae32defa.jpg

Agreed. A worthy subject indeed. Has he got a name?

Great looking with distinctive features. I love those big feet with the tracks. Lots of potential friction there that would require a slow, powerful motor - unless you used large tyres that simulate tracks. That extension over the foot probably moves with the leg - I don't think it hinges on the foot.   The chest plate would be take some work unless you settled for a vacuum formed part. It has rounded edges that suggest the prototype is using something simple.

AA cells in transparent cylinder tanks and claw hands. Yum, - but more clear plastic. 

The picture is perfect for getting the proportions right, though the detail in that chest remains tantalising. 

All, sadly the book I pulled this from gives nothing in the way of a description on height, or operation. Ok, Brian, please translate... the robot is the bottom line.

2D6F9BFF-D965-44D1-9E6D-AFD420860201.jpeg.3e21e56fe9088529438bc711ba54fa38.jpeg

BE93BF18-7876-42F7-876B-3831CC66D994.jpeg.3a18a2c399570109237e35893f73730f.jpeg

Brian, I disagree on the ankle hinge..if you look at the right leg, the leg rides higher on the foot than the left, this means that the leg is hinged at the foot.

This keeps the feet level with the ground while striding, otherwise the front of each foot would tilt up when walking, and the robot would be unstable and waddle.

Great looking robot! 

I used a photographic app translate the text that Brady added.   I'd been meaning to since the original post, but I couldn't find the time.

So, here it is.

First line;

"made during the period of work at the All-Russian Research Institute of Toys from 1968 to 1975 Planet Walker"  

The next 3 lines are essentially the same - repeated with numbers 1-3.

"The toy is electromechanical.  Planet Walker (1, 2, 3)" 

The last line;

"Robot".  The toy is electromechanical."

Not a ton of info there - almost as if the text in the book is also a translation of a translation.
I tried a few searches based on Russian Toy Planet Walker, with "electromechanical' added in various places and struck out.

Maybe if someone has more time, something else can be found?   

6 hours ago, Martian Gil said:

"made during the period of work at the All-Russian Research Institute of Toys from 1968 to 1975 Planet Walker"  

Well that seems to indicate this toy existed at one time, not just an artist rendering. It would be so cool if it still existed!!

21 hours ago, Sparkrobot said:

Tinplate a fantastic discovery and absolutely perfect for a Brian build. 

Looking forward to seeing it as a working 3d model.

BTW this image of a Russian tinplate robot spaceman keeps popping up in my searches. I don't remember seeing it before so Tinplate I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

images (1).jpeg

I found this image of the above robot at this site - http://cyberneticzoo.com/tag/soviet-robot/

It's down the bottom of the page

soviet-robots-1970-1-x640-x640.jpg

On 8/28/2019 at 3:45 AM, Sparkrobot said:

Tinplate a fantastic discovery and absolutely perfect for a Brian build. 

Looking forward to seeing it as a working 3d model.

BTW this image of a Russian tinplate robot spaceman keeps popping up in my searches. I don't remember seeing it before so Tinplate I hope you don't mind me posting it here.

images (1).jpeg

I’m no expert in Russian, but I’m pretty sure that the script on this one’s front translates to “DEVO” 😁

• 7 months later...