ZEROID ZOGG BATTERY PLACEMENT

ROBODUDE

:biggrin: Hello ! I was hoping someone could help me with a question- I just purchased a Ideal Zeroids Zogg on ebay and I have been working to get it running-Does anyone know how the batteries are supposed to be oriented in this robot? I got the motorific motor running after I removed it for cleaning and lubrication from the body, The internal light doesn't seem to work. So now I guess my next step is to put it back together and at least have the motor work-then try to tackle getting a new light into the body.-So how do the batteries go into this guy???? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me--I will keep the repair progress updated as I make them--Thanks again! Rich

Positive terminal up on the robots right side. (negative terminal up on the left)

At least that's what is marked on inside Zerak, Zobor and Zintar.

why should Zogg be any different?  (famous last words)

Thanks Mick ! --I actually think I am about to get this guy running-I am now getting some motor/gearbox movement--to be continued!!!  Thanks again !  Rich

Well--Its running well now--I have never had a Zeroid before, but I have always liked the looks of Zogg--Now to figure out how to replace the light bulb--I seem to remember some one had done that a couple of months back--The bodies on these things are NOT designed to be taken apart !! Thanks for your help Mick

my Zogg actually pulled apart when I was comparing his battery compartment to the others.

I'd say carefully break the seal at base and the light bulb section slides right out.  The two metal tab run up to his arms to power the things made to fit his hands.

Did you get one with his Laser Gun?  I guess he can also power some sort of control panel he would stand at. 

20190515_130617[1].jpg

20190515_130646[1].jpg

AWESOME !!!! Thanks for the pictures Mick!  Mine didn't have any accessories--I am going to give it a try!---Back in a few----Okay, I am back:biggrin: It came apart pretty easily, as you said! The bulb is actually still good, but I am still not getting any illumination when I slide the switch over to the"light" side of the clear body. I will check and clean the contacts---To be continued......

Does any one have anymore pictures of the inside of this guy?(Mick???) I cannot get the light to lite up even though I know the bulb is good--When I bought it the seller had 2 metal rods with tiny springs on them that were loose in a plastic bag--I have no idea where they might go--I have even tried jumping the power  from various contacts around the light mount with no luck!!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks-Rich

16 hours ago, ROBODUDE said:

Does any one have anymore pictures of the inside of this guy?(Mick???)

Rich, what do they look like?

I see that these two metal rods in base are spring loaded, and may be the problem.

center one reaches up to contact center screw between battery terminals

and the outside one contacts the metal plate lining the bottom of Zogg's top half.

cant tell where they are coming from though without tearing his base apart.

20190517_095355.jpg

maybe you can fish a wire down and make these connections to see if it fixes his light.

Yep--Those are the ones alright!!! John Rigg kindly said he would take a look at it for me and I sent it off before I saw your post, along with all the little loose parts--- They were loose in a plastic bag when I got it in the mail--I think that is the problem--Thanks very much Mick.

This topic sohuld be renamed Repair of Zogg robot so other can find it in years to come.

In any case here is the deal with the rods and springs.

All total there are 4 rods and 2 springs that send the power to the thermal flashing lamp in the body of Zogg.

Two of the rods have large round flanges and two just have crimps. Of the two rods that have crimps one rod is longer.

The battery holder inside the body base is glued in place after these rods and springs are inserted at the factory. So there is little chance of these parts normally getting lose or lost. In this case the battery holder insert part had come lose at some point so the rods and springs were free to fall out.

The motor drive base part is held in place with 1 screw, so take it off so you can do the repair more easily and it gives you the chance to clean the motor switch contacts and the contacts that the rods contact.

Now when the toy was built in the factory the vented body vertical tower parts was not glued in place until after the rods, springs and battery holder was assembled. When doing this repair you will have to work around this vertical body part as I do not think it can be unglued with out damage.

DSC05010.jpg

DSC05011.jpg

DSC05014.jpg

DSC05015.jpg

So I used 4 magnets to hold the rods and spring in place as I put it all back together. 

with the battery holder removed drop in the 2 rods that have the  round flanges. The long part of the rod drops down threw the body to the lower section. That leaves the round flange and nub of the rod sticking up inside the robot. If you place a magnet on the lower part of the rods you can then place the springs on to the rod nubs / flange parts. The magnets should hold that all together. 

Now take the battery holder part and place the short rod with the crimped end in the center tube hole.  The crimp end will contact the spring. And drop the Long crimp rod in to the side tube hole. Now use either some tape or 2 more magnets to hold those rods in place where they stick threw the top of the battery holder part. 

In order to fit the battery holder part into or to remove it from the lower body vertical tower part you have to Gentilly push in on the side of the tower. Making it a oval so the battery holder part will fit threw.

Once you are sure you have it assembled right the battery holder should be glued to the base part to keep all this together so you do not have to do it again.

As for the light assembly. It snaps on top of the lower body tower. The light control switch should be to the rear. If you put it together with the switch to the front the light will not work as they made a cut out in the metal contacts that keeps the push rods you just assembled from contacting the light assembly. The lamp is a thermal flashing type. The center contact of the lamp does not have a proper spring loaded contact so if you light does not work then it could just be the lamp is making a poor contact at that center point. Tapping on the robot might get it going or you might have to remove the upper clear part of the body to get into the lamp area to push back down in place or replace the lamp. I found this robot to be temperamental with that contact point. Tapping seems to get it going. But being a thermal flashing lamp I also found that when I was turning the lamp ON and OFF testing it I would forget to take into account that the lamp will not always turn ON right away as the thermal switch in the lamp had not closed yet. Back when Marco did his Roboter project I posted some links for 3 volt thermal flasher lamps.

Wow John--That was fast!(and AWESOME!!!!) I am glad I saved all those rods and stuff when I got this guy(I had no idea where they went and if they were for this robot!)---Thanks very much for fixing it for me-Rich    Thanks again also Mick for all your help with the pictures and advice--Much appreciated to you both!!!  What a difference when this robot lights up ! AWESOME !!!

You're welcome, and congrats on a working Zogg.

I forgot until I saw the picture above that when he lights up, it reflects out that 6-barrel carburetor face of his.