1969 - Lunar Spaceman by Mego

Fineas J. Whoopie

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Of these robots, the Rotate-o-matic is covered in the timeline already, as well as the Histerical Harry and his clown brother.

So unless I've missed something the Lunar Spaceman (Future Toys page 107) and the SH Engine robot (Future Toys page 34) sightings may be usefull.

post-4-1098846100.jpg

post-4-1098846475.jpg

Fineas...

I was the lucky winner of this catalog tonight...

I will be sure to post any additional pics just as soon

as it's in my grubby little hands....Stay Tuned !!! B)

Nice work, F.J.W.!

Here's a related post regarding the different color variations of Lunar Spaceman (thanks to zzrobot):

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...=lunar+spaceman

Judging by the shades of grey of the "feet" in the catalog photo, I'd say this was the green or blue one.

The English language version of the box is pictured in Botho Wagner's Roboter book, page 52, item #52.

Looking forward to additional pics (if any), robobob. Congratulations on the eBay win!

• 2 weeks later...

:) Is that the green paddle feet with pink feet? Hard to tell in the b/w photo, but I didn't know that they were as late as 1972. Now this catalogue is from Strauss, trademark Straco, and several manufacturers' style of robots, including Horikawa. I wonder if the box for the Horikawa robots pictured would have been printed with Straco or Strauss in addition to SH? -Larry 7

Is that the green paddle feet with pink feet?

I think you're right, L7. There's a nice side-by-side photo of the two color variations of Mechanical Space Man by Noguchi (and the box) in Future Toys, page 110, item #164. If the catalog photo was that of the silver-grey version then the feet would be black and the hands and the helmet would be the same shade of grey since both are white.

There's also a photo of the version with the "spinner" on it's head (and it's box, too). See #167.

I wonder when these other variations came out? Earlier? Later?

Thanks for adding the photos, robobob!

I wonder when these other variations came out? Earlier? Later?

Here is my humble theory about the progression of this form. First was the green mighty, then the astronauts. This I think is a no brainer as it follows the established pattern of toys shifting from early whimsical designs into more reality based and NASA influenced designs of the later sixties.

Of the astronauts I think the spinner-head version was first and then came the spark window versions. The reason is because the litho design on the spinner-head version has a litho detail on the chest that looks like some sort of pump or life support device with lines that travel upward towards the astronauts head. You can tell that with the sparking chest version that this litho detail was already part of the design because the lines are still there. So obviously the version with the pump was first, and the version where they cut the "pump" out came later.

post-4-1099778140.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 17 years later...