Robert Lesser 1975 Press Photo

Joe K.

Darn right Brian. It began about a year after this pic was taken that I would hear from friends, "Why do you waste your $$ collecting all this useless dust-collecting junk?" I caved (a bit), he obviously wouldn't/didn't. :lecture::breakit:

I was lucky enough to have been to a couple of Botstocks where he was present, incredible stories from the early days of collecting, Sandra Kessler and all. Steve, please thank Bob for me for the great times, I'll never forget. He even talked to Kelly from my cell phone while in Chicago in 2006 (she was nearly 10 at the time) while at break from the toy show and discussed her robot collection with her in depth, what a gentleman.

News photographers favor making those sorts of goofy pictures. All press is good press. I wonder when he started with the robots? It seems to me I started hearing about him in the early eighties.

Did he live in Cleveland at the time of this article? The Plain Dealer was, or is the paper there. And now that I think of it, I was in art school there at the time.

How many collections did he cycle through? I didn't know of this one, just the robots and the pulp art. Was he ever married, or did he have a life partner of any sort?

Not so much brave as simply not giving a damn about what other people thought about what he liked. He is a man that has always followed his own inner voice. I would think that picture was taken in NYC. As far as collections Bob has cycled through several quite diverse collections each time having the creme de le creme for that collecting genre.

And Bob may hold the record for the most fun anyone ever had collecting. You can see it in every picture and interview he ever gave. The man has a blast putting together his various collections. It certainly shows in the pic at the top of this thread.

As we walked through the Doll exhibit at the Chicago Toy Show,

Robert bellows "DOLLS who the HELL collects DOLLS" !!!

I then found out that he was once president of the New York

Doll Collectors Society... :scratchhead:

• 5 years later...

Bumping this thread as I thought it’s good to celebrate and remember the good times.

I never had the privilege of meeting Robert Lesser but it sure sounds like he had a blast!

• 3 weeks later...