The One That Started It All..Giant Playmate Robot

Tinplate6

Throughout our childhood, many toys pass through our lives...some remembered fondly, and some forgotten. However, there always seems to be that one which left an indelible impression on our minds, one we just can't forget. For a young Brady Chieffi, this toy was the one that started it all, my very first robot. ^_^

Prior to 1962, I had very little knowledge of robots, or science fiction, for that matter, I was just a happy 5 year old living in an apartment complex in New Rochelle, NY. At the time, the TV personality Art Linkletter was very popular with his family oriented shows. A year earlier he promoted a series of large-scale cardboard construction toys that would provide kids with a "friend" to play with. These were 4 foot tall figures; girls got Gerald the giraffe, and boys got Robert the robot.

After all these years, I can't remember the occasion, but I remember the gift! My Mom put him together; Robert stood taller than me, and was, in my eyes, the coolest toy I'd ever seen 😮 and I couldn't wait to show him to the other kids. I took him outside and became an instant sensation with the neighborhood...after all, how many kids had their own robot? :blink:

However, this story does not have a happy ending, as Robert neglected to follow me inside when I came in for supper...bad robot. 😠 That night, a strong rainstorm put an end to my newest friend, and in the morning I was greeted by a pile of wet cardboard and paper fasteners. :unsure:

My Mom was upset, but knew I felt worse. Over the coming years I began building my own robots out of shoe boxes and whatever I had handy around the house...these were eventually replaced by battery operated tin versions, and my fascination for robots never waned.

About a month ago while cruising eBay, I spied an old friend, and I just had to get him. The toy was mint, old store stock, in remarkable condition. When I received the package, I was amazed at how big the box actually was; 18.5 X 13.5 inches.

post-656-0-52037700-1332885841.jpg

Inside was the real treasure, my Robert had come home. Now, I was suddenly faced with a dilemma...should I leave the toy as is, or attempt to actually build this 51 year old toy? :huh: I realized that if I made just one mistake, if I worked the dried cardboard just a little too much, it could rip, or worse, disintegrate before my eyes. I decided to take the chance. :rolleyes:

The pre-cut cardboard plates were indeed fragile and had to be bent to form the various body parts. Additionally, there were exactly only enough of the shiny silver fasteners to build the toy, no more, no less...if I broke one, I'd be out of luck. 😞

post-656-0-75992300-1332885935.jpg

I began the assembly with all the cautious dedication of a surgeon. I followed the detailed directions on the back of the box, piecing the figure together.

post-656-0-33783800-1332885823.jpg

With each bend, the silver paint cracked and the corners began to split and fray, but I couldn't stop now. From start to finish, it took me three hours to complete Robert. However, I wasn't done yet, I noticed the flecks of cardboard dust continued to drift down from the corners, so I decided to brush on a coat of polyurethane plastic to strengthen the fibers and halt the cracking, and it worked. 😄

Robert is exactly as I remember him, only a lot shorter. The figure has a big head for such a narrow body.

post-656-0-90797300-1332885756.jpg

The body was designed with a slight taper to the legs.

post-656-0-17988700-1332885767.jpg

post-656-0-80871400-1332885773.jpg

The printed control buttons on the back were a nice touch,

post-656-0-71744500-1332885782.jpg

as is the wiring for the ears...and that face!

post-656-0-74867700-1332885794.jpg

post-656-0-21551100-1332885812.jpg

The only moving part on the toy is the control knob which sits squarely in the center of the chest, it can be rotated in any direction.

post-656-0-95233800-1332885803.jpg

The interior flyer claimed Robot could do all sorts of things that I don't think he was really capable of,

post-656-0-08962400-1332885925.jpg

but there is one thing he did do, and that was to bring back an old toy collector' fondest memory. :blush:

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

Playmates reunited! A great find and a wonderful childhood memory Brady. So are you going to put him on the back of your bike or is he relegated to 'inside' sentry duty? - Steve

Thanks guys...he's a real peach, and makes me smile every time I look at him.

You'd be correct there Steve, most definitely on inside guard duty. 😉

Beautiful job putting him together. What sort of varnish did you use? Was it water based? I bought one of these on ebay about ten years ago and was delighted to find it too. My first one - I think I got him for my birthday when I was seven - ended up at our family's spookroom at Shady Lane fun night. I don't think I've put these pictures up on my robot history yet, so here he is in all his degraded glory! I think yours probably did better in the rain. I made these lovely additions at around ten years old. Sorry Roger!

robot at spookroom.jpgpost-17-0-94853600-1332896425.jpg

David, that's a really creative display, I like the mask on Robert and his "antiqued" color scheme. 🙂

The varnish I used was Delta Ceramcoat - satin exterior/interior Super-Tough Polyurethane. It is water based.

post-17-0-94853600-1332896425.jpgpost-656-0-27445600-1332926222.jpg

You know, if I remember correctly (and that is a stretch for me) :blink: I'm pretty sure I saw one of these up on a high shelf, in a photo taken at the Robot Hut...John, what's the story behind yours? :huh:

For that matter...has anyone else besides John, David and I ever had, or still has one? :unsure:

Do any of you remember Art Linkletter - the dude flogging these? I used to watch him on TV when I was really tiny. It was a very gentle afternoon chat show. He had a segment called "Kids say the darndest things" where he'd get children to say embarrassing stuff about their parents, etc. As far as your robot being delicate from age - it was delicate when it was new too. I'm pretty sure I recall mine falling apart regularly. He was a toy that required admiring from afar.

"

David - I can still remember watching Art Linkletter's House Party.

Brady - I have a reproduction Roger, thanks to the skillful craftsmanship of Mr. Jan.

Archived