Karate Robots

Brian..

Pulling all the variations of the Tomy Karate Robots together. I read that this is a Yonezawa for Tomy robot but I can't find any Yonezawa logos or proof. Can anyone clarify this?

There appear to be four designs:

Type 1 has a very round body, usually with a V design on the kneck..

Type 2 has a very angular body with a sort of pyramid shaped head. - there are Karate and Flip-O-Matic versions

Type 3 has an oval football-shaped head

Type 4 has the oval head of type 4 but with the legs joined together. This is the Junior Karate Robot

So let's begin with the Type 1 or Dumpy One

Tomy Karate Robot with variations including the Sears edition:

A Tomy Japanese market Super Robot Battle Fighter:

One I can't put a name to but I think it's Tomy:

And finally a whole batch of the Brazilian company Estrela's versions of the robot going onder the name Bam-Bo

Type 2 of the Karate Robot; this is the angular design with that distinctive pyramid head:

First, the Tomy versions

And then the Flip-O-Matic versions made in Hong Kong. These are supposed to be cheaper versions

This is the Type 3, with that distinctive oval head (and separate legs):

First is the Tomy Super Robot for the Japanese market:

And then the English (Sears Special) and Japanese box versions of the Karate Robot:

Type 4 is the Junior Karate Robot which has the oval head of Type 3, but with the joined legs. It's the type that's been called a pedestal robot.

(The photos need improving but they're the best I've got. The top robot is missing its chrome chest panel. I've not seen a Karate Junior box. Anyone got one?)

I have both the red and blue "pedestal" versions but I don't think I have seen any boxes for these. The chromed version with the S on its chest is marked Tomy on its feet but I don't know what it is named....not sure if I have a box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are my 3 Karate robots. The all say made in Japan The one on the left with green feet has the Tomy logo on the foot bottom. The one on the right is the Sears version, nice price for the robot.

post-7-0-99767500-1320333689.jpg

post-7-0-99130700-1320333732.jpg

post-7-0-54498200-1320333762.jpg

• 5 years later...

Karate Robot Jr. and box:

karate robot junior with box.jpgsears big toy box logo.JPG

I can't tell for sure, but I think this is the Sears version box. Compare the image on the side of the box with the Big Toy Box

logo I found on another Sears toy.

Another color combination :

Type 2 with grey body and gold arms/yellow buttons at the shoulders, same as the previously shown green version.

Made in Japan- no maker sign-

This version has the same flat eyes as the other grey version- different from the green version.

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

Gilbert has done some work on the Karate Robot variations. Here it is in full:

There is no reference to Yonezawa on the Karate box.

According to the book of Alan Bunkum  toys from Japan  type 1 : 3 and 5 were produced in 1970, and the chrome version Super Robot in 1972

it’s strange to name them type 1, 2 and 3

I got them in this same order, but if you refer to the numbers on robot, they are not exactly in the same order

Alan Bunkum show some test chrome made by Tomy for the 3 robots

Type 1

Only Japanese versions. There is a knock off of the chrome version by Estrela Bam Bo and a non acrobat Hong Kong version the Silver Warrior

Type 2  

There is a grey version made in Japan on body back and a green later version logo Tomy on feet on box and made in japan on body

There is another grey version with golden arms as shown by Gernot  - Japan on body back and no logo

There is a Japanese box for the orange robot (I don’t know if there is a Japanese version of this Tomy Hong Kong robot

2 repros known the grey Flop-0-Robot and orange Flip-O-Matic robot  from Hong Kong

Type 3

There are a lot of Japanese variations

Red 1 with blue arms made in japan on body back

Red 2 black arms logo tomy on battery cover

Red 3 golden arms

Red 4 sears white arms red feet

Red 5 chrome stickers

Grey 1 scarce (sample ?)

Chrome gold

Type 4

I agree that there is a Japanese box but I have not seen a Japanese version to check if there is Made in Japan stamped on body

I have the feeling that the maker is written on the only side of the box that I don’t get pictures lol

At least the Japanese version have Japanese stickers, Hong Kong have karate instead

Hong Kong versions

Type 2 flip o matic grey or orange

Type 4 karate  Hong Kong

Brazil Estrela

Type 1Bambo versions

Hong Kong star warrior (not acrobat function but similarities of design)

Confusing  lol

Best regards

gilbert

Here are accompanying pictures, but I'm afraid I can't co-ordinate them with Gilbert's text.

$(KGrHqYOKo0FImQ!IW(eBSLT2FSd2w~~60_57.jpg$T2eC16F,!yUFIcDnO8pUBSLT-QrZFw~~60_57.jpg$T2eC16N,!y0E9s2S5uJkBRV6N!Wukw~~60_3.jpg2DDB55914DC54D438BCE26EBC035FB52.jpg3karatetomy1st version.jpg6b0d_1.JPG9d49_1.JPG9dfb_1.JPGalan_bunkum_tomy_experimentaltests.jpgb561_1.JPGbaysaron-img600x450-1439958949cbelqg23393.jpg

baysaron-img600x450-14399589484obwi323393.jpgbbc5_1.JPG

Archived