Pyro Space Ship Set Mib

Tinplate6

post-656-1279338517.jpg

As toy investments go (I always refer to them as investments, it makes me feel better) ;) , this is the most I've paid for anything. What makes this even more interesting is, I thought I'd lost them. The auction on this piece was fierce to say the least, however, I had reached my ceiling and refused to budge...and I lost. When I discovered this I was heartbroken :mellow: , I knew these were not something I would get another chance at. However, to my surprise, the seller contacted me a day later to inform me that the original buyer backed out of the deal, and wanted to know if I was still interested...was I?! :blink: I snatched it up in an instant, and so, without further ado, here is the set.

post-656-1279338547.jpg

The toys are dead stock mint, the box is in very good condition with some wear to the lid and edges. The artwork on the box is classic 50's futurism; ships zipping around a spaceport on what I assume is the moon, since the earth appears in the upper left.

post-656-1279338499.jpg

The colors are still bright after all these years, and I can only imagine how great it looked when new.

post-656-1279338582.jpg

The ships themselves are still shiny and bright, and exhibit that classic styling that made the early pulp fiction art so endearing. The set includes the X100 Space Scout (the smallest ship at 5 inches), the X-200 Space Ranger at 7.5 inches, the X-400 Space Explorer at 7.7 inches (also the most uncommon of the ships) and my personal favorite, the X-300 Space Cruiser at 10 inches long. The ships are held in a vacu-formed red plastic tray molded for the wheel base of each ship.

post-656-1279338605.jpg

post-656-1279338619.jpg

I have waited years to get these, I contemplated buying one at a time, but they rarely came up in good condition. I'm a sucker for vintage space ships and these were always the best sculpted in my opinion, and as we all know, were copied heavily by other manufacturers. All the ships are fully molded in 3 dimensions except for the Space Scout, which is more like the smaller penny toys, as it has no bottom, it's just an open shell with wheels under it. I never understood why this one was cast that way, other than perhaps the small size made it hard to glue the two halves together.

I really love these and I'm glad I could share them with my fellow Alphadromers. ^_^

Holy crap T6, you got the set!!! I was watching the auction and thought how lucky the winner was, what a beauty indeed! Congratulations!!!

Thanks guys, this was definitely the end of a long search, and an unbelievable stroke of good luck. :) Now it's time for some real fun...

Blast Off!

post-656-1279355790.jpg

Wow. That is fantastic. I have been on the lookout for these myself. I did find a set of four Moldex Spacemen...with one helmet for ten dollars. I don't know if that is considered a good deal or not, but I have wanted some of them for a while. But this set is beautiful, especially with the box.

TP...one word..."ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC"...oops, sorry that's two words, but what a thrill to be contacted after the sale with this gem, I'll bet you were even a bit nervous about removing them from the base!

TP6,

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within a month The Ideal Futuramic Ship, Pyrotomic Disintrgrator Rifle and the Pyro space ship set. Congratulations! These acquisitions certainly must be the pinnacle of your collecting career....... You are going to need a million dollars worth of bubble wrap to pack your collection for the move.

WOW!!!!!!!! It's a good thing I'm married to someone who keeps an unbreakable chain on me with spending! :lol: What a fantastic set. I couldn't say much more than Joe (ER&S). Enjoy.

I was watching that original auction closely. I knew they'd snatch a pretty penny. They don't get much more perfect than that. Great styling!

Wow. That is fantastic. I have been on the lookout for these myself. I did find a set of four Moldex Spacemen...with one helmet for ten dollars. I don't know if that is considered a good deal or not, but I have wanted some of them for a while. But this set is beautiful, especially with the box.

Okay you've got me intrigued how did I miss a set of 4 Moldex spacemen particularly when they came with a helmet?? And for 10 dollars???

Gee T6, when are you going to start picking up some toys? :P

This is (apart from chapter 9, the robots) the most desirable toy in Blast off in my opinion, a book chock full of highly desirable toys.

A truly amazing acquisition.

OK I'll give in and say it - WOW! :o

VERY COOL!!!

I always love seeing the unusual and rare. Not that these toys are rare as individual pieces. But a boxed set? That's great. And the packaging is unique too with the molded form fitting plastic and nice artwork.

Some of the other recent Alphadromer postings have shown some other really great pieces also. I really enjoy seeing the unusual finds, although at the moment I can only live vicariously through other alphadromers and enjoy what they show. Maybe some day...

Congrats to all Alphadromers.

Thanks all...I have come to a point in my life where I realized that I might no longer be able to afford the really nice stuff, I don't know what my future holds right now. :mellow: I guess in your opinion my thinking is counter intuitive, and I should be saving money for the unforeseeable future. As I have mentioned, I look at these as investments, something I hate to do since I buy my toys for my personal pleasure, not for resale. However, I know that if I should get to the point where I have sold off all the lesser pieces and am forced to let go of my big ticket items, they will return a profit...and yes, I'll let all of you know if it should ever come to that, at least my fellow Alphadromers will get first dibs. ;)

Archived