Tom Corbett Rocket Lite

Tinman

Yesterday I attended the Big Flea in D.C. and came home with this Tom Corbett premium "Rocket Lite" pin from the 1950's. It's approximately three inches long from tip-to-tail and is made of a hard, no doubt breakable, plastic. It's very clean but hard to open, so rather than find a replacement battery I'd have to worry about I made a plug of styrene tubing to fill the gap. I'd be the first to agree I paid too much for it but find they're pretty scarce and usually come up for auction showing lots of wear or with the bottom portion of the lightning bolt broken off. Because of the condition, I'm thinking this one was stored away somewhere.

post-329-1249235771.jpg

post-329-1249235789.jpg

post-329-1249235814.jpg

How the pin was meant to be worn...pushing the plunger at the tip caused the light bulb to illuminate the tail-end of the rocket.

post-329-1249235919.jpg

Very nice. I've seen them pop up on eBay before, but I've never seen so many clear photographs -- very interesting little premium. I like it a lot! Nice score!

Beautiful example, Bill. In that condition it was worth whatever you paid for it.

I can make out the "Rockhill Productions", but what does it say at the top?

Thanks guys. The dealer I purchased it from had several other Corbett items like a puzzle or two, comics, and coloring books but this was by far in the best condition.

Joe, the writing on the other side of the rocket says "USALITE", with the registered mark.

Tinman,

Those are really cool, I have one I got online about 8 years ago. The hard thing is getting them to light as the old batteries were designed different. I found that if you take a AA cell, and cover it with one tight, thin sheet of aluminum foil and place it back into the holder, when you depress the front pin it will light. Hmmm, perhaps it wasn't a AA, actually I think it was one of those small special purpose batteries, but anyway, it worked. I actually wore it on my "Space Cadet" Halloween costume that year. If you look closely, you can see it here, pinned to my chest just under my helmet.

post-656-1249269149.jpgpost-656-1249318147.jpg

It's a really nice collectible Tinman, great catch!

Nice pickup Bill. I have bid on several of those on ebay but never won. Yours is by far the best lookiing one I've seen.

Hey, Tinplate6! I love your costume! Very cool! You know what would be a cool idea...let's begin an Alphadrome Halloween Costume contest. Every year I play around with the idea of what an awesome robot costume I could come up with. But in typical fashion, I never end up making one because I allow other things to get in the way. Maybe a contest among us would be just the stimulus I need to actually make my costume. Or, at the very least, get to see what all of you guys look like dressed up as robots! LOL!!! :lol: :D :P :lol: ...... ;)

• 6 years later...

Archived