Alps Tv Spaceman Repair

davros

Hi,just before i ask for your help,i must say what a brilliant site this is and as far as i can see the only one with a forum.I have been looking for a place like this for ages,so very glad to find it.So on to my request,i have read through most of the forums and searched for any information i can find but i would still like clearer info on fixing a non moving space scene in my otherwise mint alps tv spaceman.Could anyone tell me the likely cause and how i get to it.Will i just need to open the body,and what will i be looking for when i'm in there.Is their a tab under each of the circular bits of tin as well as the obvious ones.I am obviously a newbie to robot repair but leaving it as it is,is not an option and i am a practical person.I just need as much info as possible before "i go in".Thanks for any help you can give,and thanks for making this place so interesting. :D

Hi Davros and welcome to the board. I am not the expert on fixing this robot that you are waiting for but while we're waiting for someone to give you a more complete answer, I can say that sometimes the rollers that drive the space scene loop just gets smooth. When this happens the friction is lost and the loop no longer advances. Again, not sure exactly what to do about this. Good luck!

hi davros, the wind up or the battery opp. robot?

I repaired a couple of the little wind ups, if you post pictures I can point the problems,

no experience with the bigger batt opp robots, sorry

Davros - Welcome to Alphdrome, I think you are talking about the battery op. TV Spaceman. I haven't had one apart but can confirm there are tabs underneath the circular bits if tin. From what I have read here before this robot is trickier than some to get apart due to a drive wire needing to be separated. Anyway I have these images stored on my PC just to give you an idea of what is inside. The drive cable can be seen in the rusty one showing inside the rear view. Good Luck :D

post-214-1247413783.jpg

post-214-1247414241.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and information shared thus far.My robot is the battery op version and would really like to get him working again so anymore information would be brilliant.Thanks again for the info.ps which is the drive wire in the photo that was kindly posted and someone said it has to be seperated to open the body.Is it fastened to the body then?.cheers.

Could anybody tell me if all the space scene related mechanism is accessible from the front.Also,if the drive wire has come adrift,can it be soldered with regular solder and iron?.thanks.

The metal is to heavy for a standard soldering iron, at least it is to get a good strong job.

You need one of those small butane torches to get the required heat, but beware, use some snipe nose mole grips as a heat sink or you can heat damage other parts.

If you can wait till the weekend I have a Great Astronaut in bits and I can take you some really close up pics of the mechanism.

That would be brilliant,cheers for that.What type of solder would you use,would the type used foy pipe joints do the job.

Ordinary electrical fluxed type solder would do the job but you will need a small tin of flux as well as the amount in the cored solder will not be enough as I would imagine that the area to be repaired is very dirty.

Have you done any soldering before ? You don't want me telling you things you already know !

Ordinary electrical fluxed type solder would do the job but you will need a small tin of flux as well as the amount in the cored solder will not be enough as I would imagine that the area to be repaired is very dirty.

Have you done any soldering before ? You don't want me telling you things you already know !

Yes i have done a bit of electronics soldering and pipe soldering but not for a while so any tips are appreciated.

Here you go davros.

No 4 phote shows where the flexi drive has broken off the gear that drives the coloured mouth spinner.

No 2 is the flexi you are going to repair.

post-13-1248018039.jpeg

post-13-1248018052.jpeg

post-13-1248018060.jpeg

post-13-1248018068.jpeg

post-13-1248018076.jpeg

post-13-1248018085.jpeg

post-13-1248018091.jpeg

Just 1 more question.Does the drive wire have a central core,or does the whole wire rotate?.thanks.ps got the front off cleanly with no problem and the wire has come adrift.

No probs Davros.

The whole thing rotates as one.

Regarding the solder, you need to get the surfaces back to bright metal, or as near as poss so the solder takes quickly.

You dont want to have to keep applying more heat or other damage can occur, so clean and use loads of flux.