Marx "jumpies"

Tinman

I posted pics of these under the ray gun section, thinking they were part of a Marx target game seen in "Blast Off" but since found they were sold in boxes of 10 under the name "Jumpies". According to information found at the online Marx Toy Museum, they were "inspired" by a Thomas Toys with the box of ten containing an assortment of rocket ships, space people, grasshoppers, frogs, and rabbits.

http://www.marxmuseum.com/home/eisenhoppers.html

The Jumpie box of ten:

post-329-1242605805.jpg

Two examples of "space people" on my want list (in blue):

post-329-1242605854.jpg

My Jumpie collection consisting of the rocket and a red and green Martian, based on the Marx

Tom Corbett playset figure:

post-329-1242605805.jpgpost-329-1242605854.jpgpost-329-1242606078.jpgpost-329-1242606354.jpgpost-329-1242606375.jpg

post-329-1242606078.jpg

post-329-1242606354.jpg

post-329-1242606375.jpg

Because of their age I haven't tried them, but they do have a black-rubber suction cup at the rear. When the suction lets loose, and I imagine it wouldn't take that long, they would most definitely jump in the air. I'm reluctant to try one because the legs are melted into place and I'm not sure how brittle the plastic is.

• 3 months later...

post-329-1250905349.jpgI recently acquired these new additions to my "Jumpie/Eisenhopper" collection. After being in touch with the Marx Toy Museum Online, I've learned there is another spaceman model besides this one, and at least two other "space people" (aliens). Below is a link to a related thread I started in the ray gun section, just to bring everything together. By the information found on the museum's site, they date from 1952-1953 although how long they were ran is unclear.

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.ph...903&hl=marx

post-329-1250905349.jpg

Cool little items Bill.

Have you posted your collection in the private collections forum? I'd like to see it.

Thanks Don. Finding the spacemen was a total surprise cuase I thought the "space people" only consisted of aliens. The garter-belt on each figure is a little strange though!

Unfortunately, my collection isn't on display in full, only bits and pieces around the house. My "room" is still in progress and I hope to complete it in the very near future. I'd love to see it laid out myself!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting pics of this wierd great toy, Tinman! These really strange items are what makes digging through the tables at toy shows and flea markets so much fun. Even helps to make eBay a fun place to sometimes lurk. LOL!! ;)

• 2 months later...

I'm not 100% certain but I MAY have completed my space-related "Jumpie" collection after attending the toy show in New Castle, DE in October. It's almost seemed like someone knew I was coming, because I found exactly what I was looking for, and they're tough to find. Both are alien figures based on the Tom Corbett/Rex Mars/Space Patrol playset figures. The red one is minty but the green one shows more wear than I would like to see (at the tips of the feet and gun).

post-329-1259554530.jpg

post-329-1259554548.jpg

Bill, it's great when you find items you're really looking for. That's how I felt about my water guns. Not really looking and there they were. it brings smiles! :)

Thanks again guys. I'm not sure the collection is complete and as always, will continue to look for something new. I asked the keepers of the Marx Toy Museum Online if they could send me a better picture of the box and I received the below. The box art outlined in blue represent the Jumpers I've already found but the yellow box may be something new. To me, it looks like a flying spaceman of some sort, but it's only a guess. Keep your eyes peeled!

post-329-1259638809.jpg

post-329-1259638809.jpg

• 2 years later...

Last week I added this Jumpie to my collection, it falls under the "Space People" category of the available types. I've been waiting to upgrade the green example I added to my collection in 2009 but this is the first I've seen. Jump on these Jumpies if you see them, they're hard to find!

post-329-0-36758000-1338161146.jpg

Archived