Tom Corbett Space Academy

Tinman

Archer figures have been a little scarce lately so I wanted to branch my spaceman collection in another direction. I stumbled across a Tom Corbett Space Academy Set auction last night and had to have it. It was a bit more than I'm used to spending but I recently sold a few Star Wars figures so in my mind I was trading one for the other. Actually, with almost 60 figures, 14 original helmets, and the space car alone, I got a good deal! The set as a whole has some broken and missing parts but provides a good start.

Phil, from the auction pics, do you think there's any hope for the box?

post-329-1202176326.jpg

post-329-1202176341.jpg

post-329-1202176357.jpg

post-329-1202176386.jpg

post-329-1202176394.jpg

post-329-1202176399.jpg

post-329-1202176436.jpg

Thanks Andy. I'm really hoping the car is in good condition and the majority of the figures as well. It's good to see the robots still have their antenna (blue set upper-right corner). Original helmets can also be hard to find. If you take a moment to thumb through "Blast Off" you'll see the set was re-packaged to fit the bill for several different shows.

Nice pickup, Bill. Even if the set is incomplete you have the box and the instructions to add anything needed to complete the set. If the car is ok and in good shape it's an important part of the set and a great additional to your space cars. The car should have a tan seated driver. :D

Glad to see your up and running Phil! The dome on the car looks a little scratched...or maybe it's just dirty, but otherwise the car looks OK. If scratched I'll polish it up and if all else fails, they make repros. There are several Tom Corbett sets up for grabs on a popular auction site right now but this one was the only one with a car at a fair price. The car and spacemen were the big motivators.

What's your verdict on the box, any tips for restoration?

Bill, the box looks pretty good. If there are tears reposition the tears after applying either tacky glue or wood glue and use light clamps with metal strips for reinforcement or something like bags clips to hold in place without crushing the corrugated. Remove excess glue before allowing to dry so it doesn't dry to the clamps/supports. You can clean boxes with bag cleaners. they have dry material in the bag that comes out with squeezing to remove dust and some dirt without rubbing it into the surface. Only use a damp cloth on gloss coated surfaces and only wipe in one direction and be sure to rinse cloth frequently and thoroughly wring out excess water. You can also use soft magic rub white gum erasers to remove dirt. :)

Thanks for the reply and helpful hints Phil. I'm not sure the box is all that rare because there are at least two other examples of it on ebay right now, and in better condition. I did some searching via Google on cardboard box repair/restoration and I guess the key thing to keep in mind is that any repairs/restorations are ""reversible". This particular site I visited used white glue vice wood glue although wood glue makes more sense to me. Unfortunately, I'm probably days away from actually seeing this thing and could probably get a better idea once it arrives. More pics to follow.

Lastly, where would you purchase these "bag cleaners" you speak of?

Bill, the reversible aspect generally applies to some museum applications. I think that term is overrated. Why would one want to reverse this type repair? You can get gum erasers, eraser bags at most art stores like Michael's, A.C Moore. I buy my supplies online from Dick Blick which is more art oriented. I use a catalog for reference which they send me every year.

I was thinking the same thing about the reversal of repairs and thought they may be pointing to water soluble products vice things like epoxies, etc. Again, thanks for the tips.

• 11 years later...

That's a detailed and thought out Toy set......I never heard of the Tom Corbett tv show, (or was it radio?)

It must have been popular back then I guess 👀

Archived