Magnus ,robot Fighter

Sparkrobot

Phil turned me onto these comics about a year ago. Cool stuff! Although I have a few of the Gold Key comics from the 60s, I primarily concentrated on acquiring the Valiant comics that ran in the 90s (the unmarked cover that Sparks posted is a Valiant comic). I kinda gave it up for a while. I'll have to get back into it. I think I have about 25 or 30 of the run of 40 issues.

As a kid, Magnus was one of my favorite comics.

I actually still have a stack of these over at my

mom's place. For being such a tough dude, I did

wonder why he wore a pink mini skirt. "Not that

there's anything wrong with that"... :blink:

Here's a couple of my favorites

post-6-1197682039.jpg

Guest Scott Cragstan

Good thread idea Spark! Between the robots, action-packed stories, and of course the flying space cars, Magnus has always been one of my favorites.

And me too Mike, but it sure cost a whale of alot more to rebuy them when I decided to start reacquiring them in the 90s though! The old silver age Magnus issues still look as killer to me now as they did back then and many of the covers have stunning artwork. I've always wished someone would make a faithful model of this style robot and come to think of it I'd have to put one of these at or real close to the top of my "Wish someone would make" list. He'd have to be tin, not plastic, and have light up red eyes! Oh yeah, and make the SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE noise when he got whacked. Okay, the last part is negotiable, but he has to have red light up eyes.

post-547-1197682943.jpg

I first started reading them in 1971 (that was like yesterday right!!!) and loved them. The artwork is wonderful. I still have a number of the original Gold Key issues and I believe the series has been reprinted. Good stuff - highly recommended.

Well even though I'm brand new in finding out about Magnus,robot fighter,I've become an instant fan,,nice to know a lot of you guys are familier with him.Andy,,I noticed they did a newer version in the 90's by Valiant comics,but even though the artwork on those are good ,I've got to say those silver age covers are brilliant,I might have to try and aquire a few of those early issues [if I ever get any spare cash,with all the robots I've been buying lately :unsure: ]I'm waiting for a couple more robots to be delivered,I will do a seperate post on them in the next few weeks....Anyway back to Magnus,Steve,,or any one else who replied,,perhaps you could choose your favourite cover and add it to this post ;) .......... :) BTW,,Robotnut,,I must admit ,when the colour fades to pink ,he loses some of his macho credability. :blink: :P

Nothing like those painted GOLD KEY covers!!!!!! I have several of the MAGNUS, but a complete set of GK Lost in Space.

post-294-1197687258.jpeg

Some of the Doctor SOLARs are cool too!

post-294-1197687360.jpg

This one's for you , Mark! :P I believe the Valiant series ended with #64. ;) also a lot of interaction with other Valiant characters. Here's #1 of 2 for a painted cover series. The late issues changed him to armor which evolved several times with different artists. Valiant comics was very hot at that time. :blush:

post-221-1197689892.jpg

post-221-1197690951.jpg

post-221-1197690969.jpg

Sparkrobot -the bottom left comic that you originally posted to open this thread is my absolute favorite which I still own from all those years back. Unfortunately scanner is on the fritz or else I'd post up my other originals.

This one's for you , Mark! :P I believe the Valiant series ended with #64. ;) also a lot of interaction with other Valiant characters. Here's #1 of 2 for a painted cover series. The late issues changed him to armor which evolved several times with different artists. Valiant comics was very hot at that time. :blush:

Ah, 64. I was never sure of the total number. As I said before, I kinda fell off the wagon on these.

Jimmiesparks -- yeah, I love those gold key covers. Ahhhhh... paint.

I was reading some of the Valiant comics when they first came out (Jim Shooter, ex-Marvel, started the line, I believe, though I could be mistaken), but for some reason, never got into Magnus. I've heard lots of good things about it, though, so I'll maybe check it out.

(BTW, for those who like Valiant, Nexus is supposed to be EXCELLENT... another one that I want to check out.)

I'm too young to have encountered the original series when it first came out, but of course, I've seen them since. After hearing you all rave about them, I think I'll give them a look.

How's Solar: Man of the Atom? Another Gold Key with a great looking character...

It seems I, and a few others have not been giving the credit these Gold Key comics deserves......Looking at the few covers we have already posted here,the artwork is second to none,as Doc said ,that Doctor Solar man of the Atom character looks great............

I first started reading them in 1971 (that was like yesterday right!!!) and loved them. The artwork is wonderful. I still have a number of the original Gold Key issues and I believe the series has been reprinted. Good stuff - highly recommended.

Believe it or not, I have all of those comics(MAGNUS, SOLAR MAN OF THE ATOM, & oh so many others fun stuff like the Gold Key Star Trek), but I can't get access to them, because they are buried under tons of robots.

The DARK Horse imprint published the old Gold Key stuff in fabulous hardcovers archives books, round 50 bucks apiece !!!

Archived