Horikawa Super Space Giant

RotoBadger

Does anyone know if the current versions of the Horikawa Giant robot are considered reproductions or "re-issues"? Does anyone have an opinion as to quality? Thanks in advance for the input...

Guest kenalexruss

Does anyone know if the current versions of the Horikawa Giant robot are considered reproductions or "re-issues"? Does anyone have an opinion as to quality? Thanks in advance for the input...

The Super Space Giant is a continuation of the same robot. It has been in production since the time it was first released and is identical in every way, as it is still made by the same factory from the same molds after all these years with no interruption in production.

I highly recommend it as a top notch robot!

I have one of these - and it is great. However, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, but on the new ones they walk forward, stop & the guns pop out and fire, then it continues on it's way. On the old ones I believe they walk forward, do the ROTAT-O-MATIC thing while shooting - and then the top of the body stops in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION that it had been walking!...it then continues to walk - only in the opposite direction of it's original path. So if I am right - the old ones top the new ones with a very creative action not found on the new models.

I have one of these - and it is great. However, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, but on the new ones they walk forward, stop & the guns pop out and fire, then it continues on it's way. On the old ones I believe they walk forward, do the ROTAT-O-MATIC thing while shooting - and then the top of the body stops in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION that it had been walking!...it then continues to walk - only in the opposite direction of it's original path. So if I am right - the old ones top the new ones with a very creative action not found on the new models.

I remember at the Toronto Toy Show about 20+ years ago a dealer had a silver metal-head one which did just that, turned around when finished and walked back where he'd come from. He was dead mint but didn't have his box so I passed him up...he was asking $350 at that time and for that money I'd expect a box with him.

Don't know if the original black version has the same action but I did see the silver one turn away. :P

The ungainly plastic-headed version from the late '70's and early '80's to me reminds me of the Ford Mustang. Original run from 1964 until 1972, the 'non-Mustang' Mustangs from '73 until '76 or so then back to a real Mustang again. Seems to me that's what happened to these guys. Same situation, different product!!! :lol:

I remember at the Toronto Toy Show about 20+ years ago a dealer had a silver metal-head one which did just that, turned around when finished and walked back where he'd come from. He was dead mint but didn't have his box so I passed him up...he was asking $350 at that time and for that money I'd expect a box with him.

Don't know if the original black version has the same action but I did see the silver one turn away.

I have both the black and silver original Super Space Giants. Both spin around and fire. Love those guys. The Metal House reissues lost a bit of magic by eliminating this function.

Hello there,

The Metal House re-issue of the Super Space Giant is one the best quality re-issue robots you can buy at the moment. And yes it has the look, feel, and dare I say ‘heft’ of the original. The box art is also much the same as the 1960’s release. The Super Space Giant has is one of the largest tin robots ever made. Its oversized ‘attacking martianesque’ stylings give it a unique personality. These are very impressive robots when you actually hold one in your hands. The re issue is almost identical to the original all tin 1960’s version. Yes the original 60’s release had the rotate-o-matic action and the current issue does not. The litho and styling in the chest gun cavity is quite different on the 1960’s release. Also the litho style on the outside of the chest gun doors is a little different. The silver finish of the current issue does not appear to be the same finish used by Horikawa in the 1960’s. These minor differences aside, I would not hesitate in buying a silver or black Space Giant from the current issue. Why? ; Because they look amazing, they are of high quality Japanese manufacture made by the last remaining original tin toy facility in Japan. Metal House have gone to great lengths to restore the Space Giant’s original 1960’s character. Yes there have been various renderings of the Space Giant since the 1960’s. Only the first issue (circa 1968?) and the current issue have the original look. The current Super Space Giant is a rare treat; an original 1960’s Japanese toy robot styling still made by original craftsmen in Japan.

I am very glad to see the return of the Attacking Martian (fly eyed) style to some of Metal House’s current catalogue. As well as the return of some of the early 1960’s Gear robot/Machine Robot/Fighting Robot attributes such as the moving shoulder antennae. Metal House’s web page shows two upcoming releases silhouetted in shadow. One of them obviously has the attacking Martian head and what appears to be a sloping panel on the lower torso. I can’t wait to see the unveiling of this upcoming release. Especially if is has definite 1960’s Horriakawa styling. I really hope that Metal House is tuning into the Horikawa legacy and that we see new releases which have the charm and look of original 1960’s manufacture. Though it probably is not likely I would love to see the return of the ‘fighting robot’ in previously unreleased colors such as the metallic green used in the Dino robot variant.

I'm confused. How can this be considered a "re-issue" if there are so many differences between the original 60's robot and today's.

"The box art is much the same". Not the same.

The litho and styling in the chest gun cavity is quite different on the 60's release". Not the same.

"Also the litho style on the outside of the chest gun doors is a little different". Not the same.

"The silver finish of the current issue does not appear to be the same finish used by Horikawa in the 1960's". Not the same.

"Yes the original 60's release had the rotate-o-matic action and the current issue does not." Not the same.

How, by any stretch, can this robot be considered a "re-issue" or the same robot? It is clearly a reproduction. Yes, it does look very nice and I still am considering getting one but c'mon..."re-issue"? Ken posted earlier that it is identical in every way to the original and that it is a continuation of production by the same factory. Clearly it isn't if the above info is correct. Does anyone else have a viewpoint on this?

Still...it does seem to be a nice bot... :)

I'm confused. How can this be considered a "re-issue" if there are so many differences between the original 60's robot and today's.

"The box art is much the same". Not the same.

The litho and styling in the chest gun cavity is quite different on the 60's release". Not the same.

"Also the litho style on the outside of the chest gun doors is a little different". Not the same.

"The silver finish of the current issue does not appear to be the same finish used by Horikawa in the 1960's". Not the same.

"Yes the original 60's release had the rotate-o-matic action and the current issue does not." Not the same.

How, by any stretch, can this robot be considered a "re-issue" or the same robot? It is clearly a reproduction. Yes, it does look very nice and I still am considering getting one but c'mon..."re-issue"? Ken posted earlier that it is identical in every way to the original and that it is a continuation of production by the same factory. Clearly it isn't if the above info is correct. Does anyone else have a viewpoint on this?

Ok. I don't know if this will make sense, but let me try to explain it this way. If a different company attempts to make an exact copy of an original robot, I think we can all agree that this is a reproduction.

If the SAME manufacturer makes an additional run of a particular robot with slight changes, you would consider this a variation or "re-issue". I agree that I hate the word re-issue because I think it's confusing. But in actuality, that what all the original variations of robots were, a particular design that was successful in sales, done again with slight changes.

Chief Robot Man get "re-issued" as Radical Robot. Mr. Robot got re-issued as Modern Robot. And so forth. Sometimes just a different color paint job, sometimes a whole new name with new box artwork.

And, of course, the ultimate example of re-issued robots...The Gang Of Five. Does this make sense now? So when Metal House (same maker) turns out additional runs of robots on the same molds, they can hardly be called reproductions.

Some good questions Rotobadger.

Let me ask some more questions.

Is the silver or gold Attacking Martian a reproduction of the brown one?

Is the Attacking Martian with the medallion door a reproduction of the one with the green tinted windows?

Is the Rotate-O-Matic with the plastic head and arms a reproduction of the all tin version?

Is the silver Star Strider ( nowadays still obtainable ) a reproduction of the green version from the eighties?

The answer is no! :excl:

The chinese Space Walk Man is a reproduction of the Star Strider.

Guest kenalexruss

The only way to really know if you like a car is to test drive it. I suggest that anyone in doubt, yet with the heartfelt desire to own this marvelous robot, "test drive" it, as it were. I will make these robots available to anyone wishing to test drive them. If you are not impressed, return it! Just email me or send a message through eBay, etc. I am sure you will love this robot as much as any in the collection, new, used, repro, reissue or retired!

In all honesty, I think they are made better now than the originals. My original space giant does rotate, but thank god does not walk backwards, as the little brackets in the wheels in the feet only allow mine to walk in a single direction! The problem with my original rotating version is that the mechanics are hard pressed to make a robot of that size operate properly. Sometimes he wants to fall over (ouch!), sometimes he gets stuck (yuk) and sometimes he slows down, with an alarming gear grinding sound (yikes)!

Yes, the robot has evolved over the years, much like most things do. It is still made from the same molds at the same factory and is not a reissue or reproduction. Imagine if the many similar works of Van Gogh, such as the sun flower paintings were considered as reproductions simply because he painted many different studies of the same theme? I think Edvard Munch summed it up the best with his many variations of my favorite work of his when regarding this matter... They are all valid works of art in their own right, er, I mean robots! To suggest otherwise makes me want to....

post-536-1181329999.jpg

:) SiamSam's statements are right on the money. The robot was issued back then, then the large robots were completely changed to the plastic headed ones and different body. Then Metal House issued again, read that 're-issued' the original style of robot, -the fly eyed with 60's type body. Slight changes on robot and box, but what do you want to do, confuse someone with the year that the robot was manufactured? They did OK with this one and the Dino-Robots, very well indeed.

I agree with Kenalexruss, the originals are very often found with ripped out gears! And, I have worked on them with at least three different looking chassis designs inside, that is, the configuration that the robot's motor is mounted in. I'll take a new Metal House in either color! I love the robot. -Larry7

A REISSUE, in my opinion, is a Robot (or any toy) made using the original molds and tooling from the original run. Differences in color, or other markings, or a reduction or addition to original functions, would still fall in this catagory.

A REPRODUCTION, in my opinion, is when all-new molds and tooling are made to recreate the look and feel of the original toy.

That's it in a nutshell.

On the one hand I do find it disappointing that the newer model does not do the rotate-o-matic thing and then progress in the opposite direction. I really thought that was a cool feature. However, hearing of the problems that mechanism had does make me feel a bit better about not having it, because in the end I do love my silver Space Giant. It is very well made - a beautiful robot - and the large size is a real plus. Metal House is still turning out great product - and kudos to them for doing so.

So - no, I would not discourage anyone from owning one (or two). The quality is still there. Just trying to shine some light on the debate of 're-issue' or 'reproduction'.

ng so.

So - no, I would not discourage anyone from owning one (or two). The quality is still there. Just trying to shine some light on the debate of 're-issue' or 'reproduction'.

....THE SEQUEL!!!! :P :lol:

Archived