Buck Rogers Radio Controlled Twiki

Phil R

At the height of the Buck Rogers TV show a 1980 catalog advertised a 12" walking radio controlled TWIKI robot which also had the LED Dr Theopolis on his chest. Was this toy every made? I' think the individual Dr Theopolis was made then or later. I have the smaller action figures and a complete set of the large figures as well as Corgi spacecraft, books, etc. Phil R

They did make a radio control TWIKI robot that I have but its is a inflateable TWIKI on a RC base. page 47 of the robothut collection top right has a picture of it. I have not seen the version you have pictured.

Just like the Raido Controlled Johnny 5 that never got made into a toy.

I wonder just how many Movie or Television Robots were shown as toys and then never to be produced?

I do have the 6" wind-up walking version of TWIKI that came out with the 12" Buck Rogers Figures and the 2 1/2" TWIKI action figure, but the one in your pic looks like it would have been a great part of any robot fans collection.

Just like the Raido Controlled Johnny 5 that never got made into a toy.

I wonder just how many Movie or Television Robots were shown as toys and then never to be produced?

I do have the 6" wind-up walking version of TWIKI that came out with the 12" Buck Rogers Figures and the 2 1/2" TWIKI action figure, but the one in your pic looks like it would have been a great part of any robot fans collection.

I had that small Twiki as well, however I traded him for a furnace cleaning a few years ago before I knew about yous guys!! :blink:

:) Another cinema robot that's tough to find might be the one from Logan's Run, the one that looked like a wheelchair in the ice cave. I have never seen the toy, but only an ad one time from a guy wanting it, but I don't know if it was even ever made. -L7

I know that there is a model of about 10" that is comming out soon, and the robot in the ice cave is "BOX".

To my knowledge there hasn't been anything for the "BOX" robot, no toy, no model until now and never a robot tin or plastic.

With a few modifications though, one could make a "BOX" robot out of an R-1, the body style is simular.

Here's a couple of pics:

post-441-1145538565.jpg

post-441-1145538600.jpg

:) Thanks, MMM, the robot Box looks a lot better than I remember it, pretty cool as a matter of fact! I'd buy a toy of it. -L7

Thanks L7, I have detailed files of most Movie robots just so that one day I can build the ones that never got made into a figure or toy. Of course I would choose to build them in the 1/5th scale, from the 16" size.

MMM,

Regarding the Logan's Run toy, is this in conjunction with the new film for possibly 2007 to be direted by Bryan Singer? Phil R

I don't think there is going to be a toy. But I do know that a model of "BOX" is being made I saw a picture of it in it's resin mode while doing a google search of robots, I only wished I'd kept a picture capture of it.

• 8 years later...

Archived