Fantastico Revisited

Brian..

After three years of solid use my 3D printers were all in a tired state and I've spent a couple of weeks repairing and updating them all. The main improvement was the upgrade of the hot ends with the Revo alternative. This innovative component really has breathed new life into the machines. They print better, are more reliable and are a breeze to operate.  I'm also waiting for my new big, noisy Bambu printer and am wondering how I can smuggle it past my wife. 

Unfortunately some of the components that I rely on have suddenly skyrocketed in price, so much so that I decided to rework many of my robots to use more economical, but equally reliable alternatives. So I've been revisiting most of the old designs and altering the builds to use, for example, M4 screws instead of aluminium tube. Cheaper components and much faster assembly time. 

That brought me to Fantastico again, a robot that I have only produced as a prototype. It's based on an Argentinian advert for a robot that was never produced. (Unless, of course, you know otherwise.)  This is my second build of Fantastico and, apart from the metallic blue colour,  it has a couple of alterations. There's a slightly different chest effect and a radically different battery back. What does a robot need those ridiculously big tanks for? No idea, but they keep me happy.  There's also a more modest set of tanks for comparison. I've also been playing with new ways to print the chest detail and the results have been encouraging.  The advert doesn't show the back so it's open day for suggestions. I'm currently working on another chest set up that will be closer to the Mighty 8 Kaleidoscope robot style. 

I just love the Fantastico. A completely new robot design but with a pedigree back to the early 1960s. 

IMG_20220801_101217439.jpg

IMG_20220801_101209575.jpg

IMG_20220801_101227318.jpg

Box Art.jpg

Arggggggghhhhh, love it 😍 Like RoboDerby I'd very much like to have this wonderful robot in my collection. Super Brian 👌

Alain

That color scheme is AWESOME !!!!!-I really like his(or Her?) eyebrows too! INCREDIBLE 😍 I was fortunate to get a early version of this -Thank you Brian!!!  One of my favorites

17 hours ago, ROBODUDE said:

That color scheme is AWESOME !

Awe, cmon Rich - post a couple of pics for us 🙂

Hey Kirk !!!  I will try to email you some photos "cause I am not any better (3 years later!) at putting stuff on the internet (I am completely lame at that) If you can post them for other 'Dromers thats great too !!!  The robot is---Well-FANTASTICO !!! This robot is soooo cool 😎😍