Creepy monster bone doll by the creator of Big Loo

David Kirk

I hope I've not posted this before. I've been meaning to. I took these pictures years ago at a flea market. I'd never seen this grotesque thing before, but I knew that face! I made comments a while back about similarities between other marx robots and their Japanese counterparts. I imagine one designer probably created a lot of these toys and their faces. Anyway, has anybody seen this thing before? I can't imagine it sold a lot of units!ginny_bones_and_big_loo.jpg.58658cd34e502ab094fa3c168540242a.jpgIMG_0216.jpg.81db6fe319bcb7a0548d734d2ea362ed.jpg47130910_10156304395239011_4483268755429785600_n.jpg.08a272a07bb3105548305feb0e338e11.jpgIMG_0218.jpg.8c76bbab45fee941bc38377413f0785b.jpgfse counterparts. I still believe one fellow in Erie

I spent a while last night trying to find any specific information on who designed these things. Still no luck. My great aunt Ruth used to sling lunch at a masonic lodge or some such in Erie and I wonder if she'd have run into Marx people. How many designers worked there? I so wish I could go back a few decades to research. Fifty-seven years is too long ago to find anyone living. The fellow who had that prototype a few years ago came up with the name Mahlon Hirsch as the possible designer. He was a designer who worked at Marx at the right time and died a year or two before that little prototype surfaced. Those few toys with that look had a big influence on robots from that golden period and are such an important part of our collections.

1970s Marx Ginny Bones doll, 36" tall, pink plastic tube bones that were connected to create Ginny, she has real hands,  head with molded hair, and painted facial features, stationary plastic eyes, weighted feet kept her up right, others in the Bones family are brother Skinny Bones, dog Ham Bones & a horse.

hambones.jpg

Thanks, John, I wondered if who the other members of the family were. If they were from the seventies that would explain why I never heard of them - I wasn't looking at toys quite so much by then.