Miyazawa prototype/samples

RoboDerby

Hiya gang! I’m not sure if there is already a thread on the subject. But having seen a number of items from Marco described as prototypes/samples from the Miyazawa estate and now having just today received from Jay at R.I. another piece with reportedly the same origin, I thought it might be worthwhile to begin a conversation about these pieces and perhaps document in one place these unique discoveries from the Miyazawa estate. 

First, freshly arrived is this Yonezawa Lunar Robot sample in yellow wind up. Of course many of you are aware of the two  common production versions of this toy, the brown/red and the orange/blue/red.  However, it seems, by my count so far, that there are at least 5 of these Lunar Robot samples out there. So far I have seen a photo from Perry’s collection showing a yellow wind up with what appears to be a brown stripe detail running up the sides and over the head, a blue wired batt op r/c version and a white batt op wired r/c. Additionally I have seen a different variant of the white batt op in photos of Gernot’s collection.

I wonder if there are any other Lunar variants aside from those I have already mentioned. Does anyone have any other Miyazawa prototypes or samples to share, Lunar Robot or otherwise? Also, I would love to find out more about the Miyazawa family and also details about the sale specifically where these toys found their way out into the world. Does anyone have any information to share or perhaps links to some good sources on the topic? 

Thanks all. I look forward to possibly seeing more of these interesting variants.

47CFCD0E-827D-429B-8349-54D7ABB805A2.jpeg.2f7c7bcb16359f6b2bafffbb19816620.jpeg

3 hours ago, RoboDerby said:

? Also, I would love to find out more about the Miyazawa family and also details about the sale specifically where these toys found their way out into the world. Does anyone have any information to share or perhaps links to some good sources on the topic?

Cool robot Jeremy. I hope someone will share documented informations on those prototypes and their origin. May be Marco have more informations?

Great addition, Jeremy. There are a few Yonezawa prototypes sharing this basic shape that we have discussed in the past. 

Here's one SH Mike spotted, slightly different but the same idea:

post-27-1140984342.jpg

And these from Perry's collection:

126054264_10218604993659944_4630600178925644499_o.jpg

And this one that looks extra special:

post-27-1215483162.jpg

post-27-1215483250.jpg

Holy cow! These are all so cool. Thanks all for the contributions and comments. 

Man Brian, the chassis that you shared in the photos with the variant chest detailing is awesome! I actually prefer the added nose piece and diminished circles below as it appears to be more of a proper face than the production design by making the larger spark panel on the front, rather than the lower circles, appear to be the “eyes.”

Yes John, a wired remote version would be SUPER to add someday. Funny, I once was put off by wired remotes and wind ups. The R/Cs I thought were less desirable for display having to mess with what to do with the control. I just thought wind ups were boring. Now both designs make up some of the favorites in my cabinet, especially now that I understand the value in getting the batteries off of the toy for designs where balance would otherwise be an issue.

Back to the wired prototype, it might be even cooler maybe to track down one of the variants that Brian shared and complete it, provided this could be done and also, if desired, undone without compromising the original part. But alas, I am lacking one key ingredient for such a project.

Though, who knows? I do know a few guys that mess around making robots and such. Perhaps one of them might come across this thread and be inspired to make one from scratch. 😉♥️🤖

8 minutes ago, RoboDerby said:

I do know a few guys that mess around making robots and such. Perhaps one of them might come across this thread and be inspired to make one from scratch.

Ah heck, maybe I’ll do it myself. I do have the toy for measurements after all.  Or at least I can start it and never finish it, which seems to be my talent. 🤷‍♂️ 

50 minutes ago, RoboDerby said:

Or at least I can start it and never finish it, which seems to be my talent. 🤷‍♂️ 

🤣 I'm certain we'll see one of your creation one day.

The design shown by Brian is Fantastic,   This triangular face reminds me  the Starry robot.

IMG_1799.jpg.4da5ad4c8c6d41a987e7ec0735f9b104.jpg

11 minutes ago, 6Stelab9 said:

This triangular face reminds me  the Starry robot.

YES!!! I knew it reminded me of something. That’s the one...maybe.

AFB7ACF6-E0BF-4EE2-AE61-465A05347FA2.jpeg.a26cc16cfc206335866611c5613087d5.jpegI believe this photo is also from Perry’s collection. Left I believe is the same as from Brian’s photo above, with two others. The yellow is similar to mine. But it appears to have a stripe running along the seam of the body.