Smith House Moon Boat

Fineas J. Whoopie

The one piece that got me excited at the Smith House auction #92 that ended today was this Moon Boat. The pop pop toy is not new to me (in fact I have one) but I have never seen the box before. This small, rare and somewhat primitive box is right up my alley as far as what turns me on the most these days. I was, unfortunately, not the winner but I congratulate whoever won it. Was it any one of us?

Anyone here win something this morning?

147a.jpg

What a wonderful re-purposing of a very plain boat. Why do you suppose there's a penguin on the bow? That is a charming box.

18 hours ago, David Kirk said:

What a wonderful re-purposing of a very plain boat. Why do you suppose there's a penguin on the bow? That is a charming box.

It's a Space Penguin of course!

BTW-do the pilots look more like Eskimos than astronauts?

Yes I thought the same thing. Does not look like the right box for the toy, drivers are Eskimos, the penquin, the earth map grid thing on the bow in stead of the space grid layout. The only thing space related would be the roof of the cabin. Its a odd thing and that makes it all the more fun.

9 hours ago, robothut said:

Yes I thought the same thing. Does not look like the right box for the toy, drivers are Eskimos, the penquin, the earth map grid thing on the bow in stead of the space grid layout. The only thing space related would be the roof of the cabin. Its a odd thing and that makes it all the more fun.

Except Eskimos are northern part of the world and penguins are Antarctica. I guess that covers the world.

If, yes, if the boat was at least called Saturn or Jupiter Boat, I could believe that the passengers have not only protected themselves against the cold,

but also took the right vehicle with them to travel in diamond rains and on liquid metals. As we all know, you need completely different vehicles

to travel the darkest side of the moon ...  ☺️

I suppose it's good and cold on the moon too, so they were dressing warm and bringing their huskies just in case. Nobody had been to the moon so who knew what they'd find -certainly not Japanese toy designers! I always love these mixed genres. 

Iron sky 2 is a fun film. I prefer the first one . It has great retro futurist design ideas . Moon boat is cool but I think I prefer the box artwork more than the toy.

13 hours ago, robothut said:

moon Nazis . Oh MY !

Yes the good ol' Nazi thing...  What would be Hollywood without them? 🙄

But this time it wasn't meant to be serious; a film with a lot of wink - John! Part 1 was really fun to watch; 

additional parts would have been unnecessary!

And yes the box art is nice Don! But for what is a "boat" needed on the moon? 🤔

19 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Yes the good ol' Nazi thing...  What would be Hollywood without them? 🙄

But this time it wasn't meant to be serious; a film with a lot of wink - John! Part 1 was really fun to watch; 

additional parts would have been unnecessary!

And yes the box art is nice Don! But for what is a "boat" needed on the moon? 🤔

To float down the Milky Way of course! 😜