Drinking robot. cycloidal drive automata test 1

robothut

The design is based on the vintage japan drinking toys. Here is a video of the insides of a drinking Bear .

Just wonderful John! I am excited to see this one finished. Maybe he is standing at a bar for the base? Maybe a tiki bar type feel. Perhaps with bulbs inside the bar lighting the robot through a translucent bar top? ...or not. 😉 But if you do go that route, you can surely color me interested. Whatever you come up with for the finishing details, that cycloidal drive of yours produces some smooth lovely action.

A great illusion for the kids. I used to sell these novelty tinplate battery ops. Sadly the market collapsed.

There's another version of the toy  (Jocko the Monkey) where the water is actually poured into the mouth. You get a double pouring action for your money and it shortens the length of that tube. It also shortens the life of the toy!

Your mechanism is ideal for automata, John. 

To bad they did not have silicone rubber tubes to use back then, more of these vintage toys would still be drinking  liquid if they did.

I was not aware of these "drinking" toys. Very clever. You took it to the next level, Mr. Rigg! Most excellent.

John, if you made a body, colored the water brown, and labeled the bottle “oil”, this would be a sure-fire gotta have item!