Sign in to follow this  
rpfaff

Robot Commando guts.

rpfaff

I have a mostly working Robot Commando, but one of gears in the center is not turning.  I haven't been able to figure out why, but I notice that there are two tabs in the front of the gear assembly.  Do the gear guts come out easily?

robothut

There are several threads on this topic on Alphadrome that you might find. The body is riveted together so getting in to the robot is kind of a job. The side panels get you some view action. Maybe some one will post links to the other threads on Robot Commando as there are many pictures that should help you see how it all goes together / a part.

Joe K.

Click on the images of the guts to enlarge.

robothut

The pictures in this thread on Robot Commando might be very helpful as well.

rpfaff

Yes, I've seen the helpful hints and tips for the Robot Commando thread and I'm the one that authored the thread above 🙂   I've not seen a picture that gives me a clear view of what I'm trying to figure out.   If you look at the first set of images on the 5th picture down you can just make out a small yellow gear below the gear with the rectangular metal plate on it.  That gear drives the gear above it which, in turn, drives the missle or arms, depending on where the controller is positioned.  The small gear in my robot turns freely, but isn't driven when you run the motor.  In that picture you can just make out in front of it a yellow plastic 'spacer' that _does_ turn when the motor is run.  At first I thought that the 'spacer' and the gear were one piece which in my case had snapped, but reading the patent it appears that they are supposed to be two objects (" In turn, the cross shaft 97 also carries a gear 103in-mesh with the fourth gear and pinion assembly 69 ")

I have thought about removing the shaft in order to see if the hole in the gear that the shaft fits into was damaged.  In repairing the gears on the left-hand side of the robot, I found that the shaft will move around, but I'm not sure if it can be completely removed or not.  Nor am I sure I want to if I can only work using the access panels on the right and left side of the robot.

I also tried to buy that spare parts horde, but someone beat me to it.  I wanted the gear assemblies and the controllers.  None of the controllers work, but I wanted them to take apart anyway.  I can print simple replacement gears, but the gearboxes would have netted me some spare parts.

rpfaff

Actually, the image that you have in 

is much better.  The gear and spacer I'm talking about is the small one just to the left of the metal gears that connect to the motor

robothut

I have edited the my patent thread for Robot Commando so the images are back.

robothut

Yes it looks like the metal gears from the motor are the main reduction gears. They seem to drive the shaft that should be driving the small plastic yellow gear and also seem to drive the sqeaker cam. So I wonder if the small plastic gear is stripped from the being driven or if it had a slip clutch device on it to protect the motor from being jammed.

rpfaff

Yeah, stripped is basically what I'm thinking.  Unfortunately the patent gives you enough information to understand the mechanism, but not rebuild it 🙂  Also there may have been considerations in manufacturing that aren't on the patent.  If I could get a really good look at my mechanism or look at one where at least that part of the gear assembly was working, I would know.  If the gear is just stripped and I could get it out, it's not too hard to 3d print it.  Even if the 'spacer' is supposed to be connected to the gear (i.e. it's a solid piece and not two parts - I see a very clear division between the two, but I can't tell if it's a crack or not), it's still not too hard to 3d print it; we're talking about a toy and not a space vehicle 🙂  .  All I can tell from opening the sides and looking down through the top is that the spacer spins and the gear doesn't.  

If I can get that fixed, I think I have a mostly working version of the toy,  It looks like the missile and arms engage properly and will work as long as that gear turns.  The left wheel still isn't turning when engaged.  I thought the problem was a split gear on the main shaft, but I replaced that, the gear turns, but the wheel doesn't.  And the on/off switch is dead;  I bypassed that by jumpering another switch between the batteries and the motor.