Pyrotomic Disintegrator Pistol...Sold at Auction

Tinman

I've been watching this auction over the past week and wondering what it is; I'm no expert but the color doesn't seem right and the wear on the plastic is odd.  I've never held one in my hand so maybe the plastic is similar to the older Archer Spacemen, almost fibrous and the wear points.  I thought it may have been a prototype or test shot; any thoughts?

a1.jpg.7bc026df37cf14d77a2af03aab76371c.jpga2.jpg.0e435be6be16bd636b0747da7d9db845.jpga3.jpg.126565bda53964565b53e42b3ae17ca7.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

The color is unusual but I wonder what a regular bronze one would look like after 70 years in Lake Erie? It's well advertised, with a tantalising back story. 

You'd need to be an enthusiast to add this to your collection. 

Here's the auction:  Pyrotomic Gun

Was watching this too. At first I thought it was a red version that was severely faded from sunlight as red fades to yellow. But now that you mention it Brian maybe it was a submerged bronze version because the fading is so consistent on both sides and the trigger color does look like the silver color that the bronze version trigger came in.

I think it is from a production piece as prototypes or test shots would not have the patent info embossed on them. 

Now that I look closer I think I do see wear marks similar to fish fins. Poor little Nemo lost his toy. Buyer beware! He's been known to leave the water!

If you look at the "clock" at the base of the grip you can see that it does not have the pyro pendent logo on it like mine, I would say its a Canadian gun. Probably lost during the ALPHA ARCTIC WARS of long ago in the imagination of some 12 year old.

IMG_1302.JPG

It's funny (or maybe not funny) but I only looked at the pictures and never scrolled down to the story; here it is in case the auction goes away:

"Original, Vintage, 1950's toy space ray gun. This is the Pyrotomic Disintegrator in survivor condition. This is true vintage item, not a reproduction or other modified item. I personally plucked the gun, as you see it, from Lake Erie along the once great Bethlehem Steel shoreline out under the now in place windmill farm. Located at the extreme Easterly end of the Great Lake Erie just south of the city of Buffalo NY. Walking the shoreline on a beautiful summer day I happened upon the gun, gently bobbing  amongst large rocks just within my reach. I was certainly surprised at my new find, never before had i seen or heard of a Pyrotomic Disintegrator, a nice bonus to an already great beach day!!! As clearly seen in the pics this is not a complete example. There are pieces or parts missing. The body shows wear as well which can all be seen in the pics. The trigger does slide back and forth as it should, no spring assist, manual movement only. Please look at all of the pics. I can send additional pics as well if you wish. A simple internet search will provide you with plenty of images to compare the gun in this listing to. There is also another example for sale right here on eBay, a super example, none finer known to exist. I am reluctant to let this 1 go as reflected in my seemingly high starting bid. There are no other examples available to my knowledge other than the example cited here on eBay for an asking price of $25,000.00. They sure don't surface often, except' for this 1 here, surfaced just as I was strolling by after being out in the lake for well over 60 years + or -. rolling and tumbling. I was in the right place at the right time.  How did it end up in the lake?? Tossed in by some kid in Cleveland & then tumbled all the way to Buffalo?? Dropped from a boat?? Lost after a day at the beach?? If it could only talk, reveal the journey. The gun was gently cleaned after I discovered it many years ago, been in dry storage since then, time to let it go?? Please see all pics. Buyer will pay actual shipping charge. I will refund any shipping over charge."

21 hours ago, Tinman said:

Beautiful piece there gene...congrats!

thank you,had this piece for 20 yrs. sent a pic to Metcalf when l found it (he still had the site RAY GUNS) was the first he saw of this color there is a blog where he describes seeing mine the first time. l'm  the some guy in Canada.