Coronavirus And Collecting

Brian..

I guess it's the elephant in the room. I wonder how it's impacting the hobby. For the first time in my life I can understand how my parents must have felt when war was declared. It's a scary time. 

I certainly feel that it puts the collecting into some sort of context. It's such a minor preoccupation at a time of upheaval. I'm inclined to put collecting on the back burner until normality is resumed. I'm looking at months of semi-isolation. I'm not concerned for myself - I'd rather catch the virus and get it over with, but my wife is slightly more vulnerable. At least I'll have the time to do some repairs to the house and to work on some long overdue 3D projects. And I'll finally sit down to listen to those operas that I've been promising myself for twenty years. 

I won't be attending toy shows. The big NEC show is on this weekend but I bet numbers will be down. I was the only person in the local library yesterday. The government has just advised against attending public gatherings and it's better to play safe. They've even closed the Grand National. So if I do buy, it's going to be online. But even that presents problems: I'm concerned about opening sealed packages from the high-impact areas like Italy and Spain, though it's probably irrational. The internet is also showing signs of strain as people entertain themselves at home. 

One fortunate consequence of 3D printing is that I have a ready supply of IPA, the solvent used to clean resin off prints. It's the main ingredient of hand sanitiser, so I'm sitting on gallons of the stuff. Now if I only had toilet roll, I'd be sitting pretty. I wonder if I can use IPA, or will it sting?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoboDerby

• Brian..

• Fineas J. Whoopie

• Ranger

Michigan shut down virtually everything. I work from home but my clients don't so not much work coming in. I had art shows for my sculptures scheduled throughout the summer and they're all in peril. Ironically, my wifey has job security here. She works for the county health department and her work is mandated. All are being reassigned to work related to this outbreak.

My only real concern is that my father lives in a retirement home that could be vulnerable to any outbreak. I can't visit him in person anymore.

4 hours ago, Brian.. said:

Now if I only had toilet roll, I'd be sitting pretty.

:thumbs: Not sure about it being pretty :biggrin:

I was in York yesterday, and for the first time in my memory there was no queue waiting to get into Betty's Tea Shop, amazing. 

No hand sanitizer anywhere apart from shops for use by customers, good job I know how to wash my hands with good old soap and water for 20 seconds.

Wow! What a mess this is becoming. I wish the best to you all as we wait this out. Personally, I don’t think that I will be making any additions to the collection anytime soon. The filming industry has altogether shut down and frankly, I am preparing to get a little beat up over the next few weeks/months while there is no work to be had. As per usual, though the government is putting together a relief package, folks in my industry will most likely not be eligible due to not fitting the definition of full time employees. So admittedly I am very much concerned. I’m pursuing every avenue of finding other work, but worry that it might be tough finding jobs in our current situation. So, in the meantime, I’ll be working on a pug repro mod at home and hoping for the best. Hoping the best for everyone in fact.

2 hours ago, Andyman said:

Michigan shut down virtually everything.

Say Andy. Idea for a new robot. Quarantino! It could have four arms and a roll of toilet paper in each hand. Hoping this passes soon and things get back to the normal level of insanity.

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

Paul, did your kids clear those shelves? 

😂, no. You could get quite a few robots on those shelves in the centre photo though! 

46 minutes ago, robothut said:

Brian that's the scariest thing I have heard. Listening to operas. Holy crap. what has this world come too ?

It’s worse than screeching cogs! 😂 

2015, nearly 634,000  people died of heart disease.

2017,  600,920 cancer deaths. 

85 homicides in Chicago in 2020...so far.

Sorry.....Corona virus is at the bottom of my list....But sheeple 🐑watch-believe  TV 📺 news and empty the shelves

thus deny others  of resources....shame on them.

Haven't watched TV since 1999 and even then it was for Saturday morning  cartoons after a long shift at Motorola.

True, I see your point but you cannot catch any of those from someone else. No one really knows as of yet. The deaths from corona virus could well exceed those figures. Hopefully not. 

It is certainly a tough situation. I just wonder which is worse, letting this virus run it’s course while going on as normal or shutting everything down, putting thousands or more, at least 250K in the film industry alone, out of work and thus putting their livelihoods at risk. I suppose it is all about perspective. But, if this is like the flu, will it not resurface next year? Surely there isn’t to be an annual quarantine.

I think I’ll move into the cabinets with my robots until further notice. By the way, no matter how dire it gets, the robots are not for sale....though they might need a couch to crash on. 😉

1 hour ago, robothut said:

Brian that's the scariest thing I have heard. Listening to operas. Holy crap. what has this world come too ?

Jeez, John, you had me in stitches. My wife agrees - "What's that bloody row you're listening to?"