Top Posters In This Topic

• roboz

• Brian..

• Andyman

• K-9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Brian.. said:

A few miles from me is the Blackpool Rocket Ride, or "Flyers". About 115 years old and still going strong.

The machines evolved from propeller to reaction.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress on the Mutoscope flying saucer machine This will be the ONLY one painted just like the one shown in Mutoscope’s flyer & it retains its original drum with its original graphics as well as original backglass 

3BCC474E-C0AE-482F-95E0-9A13876D0070.jpeg

FAA51114-F7D3-46A6-9ADC-1885C859EA24.jpeg

8188CD7A-3A4F-4D3A-8869-A1BE940C346B.jpeg

Back about 14 yrs ago Phil and I went to an auction. A local amusement park went out of business. Williams Grove PA. It was sad..But one of the items I bid on was this ride...It did't go for much more than 5 grand..I kept bidding even when Phil ask,,where ya going to put it ? Down back.. How you going to get it home ??? I hate logic sometimes. It would have been fun. 

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

45 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Back about 14 yrs ago Phil and I went to an auction. A local amusement park went out of business. Williams Grove PA. It was sad..But one of the items I bid on was this ride...It did't go for much more than 5 grand..I kept bidding even when Phil ask,,where ya going to put it ? Down back.. How you going to get it home ??? I hate logic sometimes. It would have been fun. 

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

Oh Wow these are awesome. Go for Big(ger) bucks today 

That tracked vehicle would look amazing restored 

4 hours ago, Brian.. said:

I'll look out some pennies, Oz. Meanwhile you need this Journey Into Space variation:

JourneyIntoSpace.jpg

Thanks Brian

Someone mentioned to me on facebook that There was a first version based on Dan Dare 

I'm assuming this is it .

Lovely piece Be nice if I stumbled across one 

On January 13, 2020 at 7:23 AM, roboz said:

Added yet another British Machine 

Brian you're going to have to send me some British Pennies  🥺

space machine.jpg

Oz,

Just wonderful! The upper "Journey into Space" and "Sputnik" graphics are much nicer in my opinion than the 'Dan Dare' theme on the other machine pictured. What is the height (if I had to guess I'd say it's in the 20" to 24" range)?

Will you be restoring this machine? With the right nickel refinish and wood cabinet restoration you could obtain a happy medium between a vintage patina look and brand new appearance...

These two dispense pennies. 

England used to have strict gambling rules and for a long time these machines could only pay out candy or cigarettes. If there was an element of skill then the machine could dispense money. Others used tokens that could be traded for prizes. 

Amazingly it is still very difficult to sell these machines. They may be vintage or even antiques (100 years old)  but the law still treats them as though they are modern slot machines with huge jackpots. I've attended auctions that have been cancelled because some rival arcade machine dealer has snitched to the authorities. These machines appear on Ebay only to be banned a few days later when a rival dealer reports them - they're a trecherous lot. For this reason the machines often make a very brief auction appearance with contact details. Ebay removes them in a day or two and a cash sale takes place privately. Ebay's loss. 

My favourite machine is an Edwardian beauty that takes halfpennies and dispenses tokens that can be exchanged for a cigar. If I had the room I'd love to collect more.