Painted Lead Skating Cosmonaut Rocket Gantry Technician

space.trucks

Vendor had no verifiable information. ("Painted Metal Space Figure, 1930s? 1940s?") and I won't be back for more. You buy the spaceman & not the story. Nice paint job.

IMG_9216.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

xIMG_9215.jpg

Will work him into a "Winter Wonderland" diorama with rocket gantry. You skate on the atmosphere out there on Triton, which is so cold that the air is frozen onto the surface into a crust that future astronauts will have to use ice skates to get around. He was either ahead of his time or a re-paint and someone forgot to detail his happy red commie scarf.

2 hours ago, Brian.. said:

He looks like he's ice skating. The warm woolies and the skates? 

O.0 ... Yeah now that you mention it. Also would esplain the lack of counter-bidders & bargain score ($12 shipped) which I'd wondered about, raising the suspicion he was of modern creation. Will use it as a search word, see what comes up and report back ... If so I had no idea ice skating figures could be that cool. Will have to find him a leggy skater chick as a date.

Thanks for going to the library with Scooby & the Gang for me, will inform the vendor just to take it out on someone. Great instance of how "You buy the spaceman & not the story"; He will now be referred to as a Soviet rocket gantry white room technician. Since most of my audience resides in Central New York and watch college sports in bars to pass the time they'll never know the difference.

Move along, nothing more here to see.

Exactly, and I'm very pleased to have him. It's different than the usual Marx/LP crew and vague enough to be anything for its intended purpose of photo subject. Bargain price, gorgeous color, only have a couple of other lead figures and he fits right in. Was of course kidding about "taking it out" on the vendor and sent them a cheerful note about the discovery. He had no idea either and I believe him.

IMG_9557.jpg.caa22690a2a63493a1daa77efa1a9c5f.jpg

Scenario I've concocted (I have to drive for an hour four times a week and mulled it over to kill time) is that at some point after 1945 (?) it was re-painted the metallic blue/green, but the person doing the painting neglected to detail hat & scarf to match the gloves + jacket buttons. It then changed hands and its original reson d'erte was lost. Vendor then obtained it at something like an estate liquidation or barn sale under the presumption it is a space figure, and listed it with good intention at a bargain price under "Robots & Space Toys" which is how I came to notice it.

If any Barclay collectors finding the listing did recognize it as being a skater they didn't bite owing to the repaint, and space figure collectors shied away either recognizing what it was or not recognizing it at all. If he'd had it listed in "Vintage Toys & Playsets" the guy would have not ended up on my radar and lingered until a Barclay or vintage skating enthusiast decided it was still pretty cool. Which he is! and provides a fun anecdote to relate for whatever comes of the acquisition. Am serious about wanting to see atmosphere-ice skating Russians exploring the surface of Triton.

• 1 month later...

Just a laugh or two: Those skating Russian cosmonauts get around. Was looking for Rex Mars figs and someone had these as well, figured we'd have a better look at a couple more. Funny thing is that the term "warm woolies" has entered my standard vocabulary, as we live in Central New York which invented both the Polar Vortex and Lake Effect Snow as friendly upbeat terms for sub-polar environmental malady. Don't forget your warm woolies.

s-l1600-7.jpg

That's a match for my boy, and good news in demonstrating that my example is likely not a re-paint after all.

s-l1600.jpg

Looks like Blue Man Group.

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Mummenschanz

s-l1600-3.jpg

I kind of like this one. Looks like famed Russian sniper Vassily Zeitsev sans Mosin-Nagant.

s-l1600-4.jpg

Astronaut and US Senator John Glenn strapped in for his Space Shuttle ride.

s-l1600-5.jpg

My guy's date? Not leggy enough but I like how they enlarged the skate into a base.

s-l1600-6.jpg

The original Geiger Counter guy, tho by Timpo. Darn near tempted.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...