Hypno Eye Rotator Robot repair and demo.

robothut

Thanks again, John, I had exactly the same problem with my golden version, didn't have a strong enough heat source to melt the solder so supported it from other side and applied a hammer and punch to to the brass bit shown to make it expand and grip the surrounding metal, so far works OK but might not last, perhaps I should invest in a my soldering flame tool. Photo before the brute force fix 🙄

Untitled.jpg

P1030252.JPG

MHR the hammer crimp you did will work just fine. I just did not want to chance messing up the free turn spring gear action and I have a big 60 watt solder iron that I use for just such jobs. They are not expensive to buy.

46 minutes ago, robothut said:

MHR the hammer crimp you did will work just fine. I just did not want to chance messing up the free turn spring gear action and I have a big 60 watt solder iron that I use for just such jobs. They are not expensive to buy.

Thanks for the reassurance of the crimp, another strange thing about mine, the gear below that operates the lever has either partially worn away or was stamped too small resulting in the lever having an eratic action when pushing out the chest plate. I can see it not matching the gear above, anyway, thanks again for sharing your photos and video. 

Normally when this happens it is the brass gear that moves up and down being worn at one end more than the other. When the gear is up the robot is in rotomatic mode and when it is down it is walk mode. When in Roto matic mode the gear that moves the lever for the door opening reaches its jam poit or in some robot the teath of that gear just stop. That is what makes the chattering sound and motion of the guns moving in and out. And that chattering causes the gear you are talking about and the small brass gear that drives that gear to wear. So sometimes you can reposition that brass gear up or down a smidg to get things working right again. But it is a design that is designed to wear out. Now there are a few door opening . gun shaking designs out there that do not have this gear clicking wear design but not many.

Great tutorial John! Thanks for sharing!

Hope you don't mind when I put the correct name to it;

last year I was lucky to get my hand on this originally boxed sample... ROTATOR ROBOT! 

Rotator Robot 101.JPG