3d print Press brake dies for metal work.

robothut

This is fantastic! I wondered if 3D printed dies might be effective for shaping tin. It would be incredible to see what you could do using this method John. I am mentally bookmarking this myself for future projects. 😉 Thanks for sharing!

It amazes me how fast technology is moving. I'm sure this would handle simple bends in tinplate, but I don't think plastic dies would be able to create the complex shapes we would need for robots. In addition there's the question of cutting out the pressed shapes. Laser cutters are reasonably cheap but I worry about my eyesight. Thanks, John. If anyone can make use of this, it's you. 

I suppose more complex shapes maybe able to be printed but the shapes the guy is doing in the video are easy to do with hand tools and/or a standard press brake. Interesting to see how it develops though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks John ! The dies are used to produce various bend radius depending on gauge of metal and alloy type. 2024T3, 7075, 5052 all have different bend radius to prevent stress cracks . Pretty hard to do with the brake he is using without the dies. I have the same one and tough to do as is with a 90 deg .060  with any tempered alloy ...I make mine out of maple . But this would be much better.