TOM the Climbing Robot. based on the 1895 Lehmann Toy

robothut

The Upper Arm and Lower Leg parts can print with no supports and are held on to the other arm and leg parts with #2 screws . If your screws are too long you can always cut them down, so better to be long than short.

Attached are the Upper Arm and Lower Leg STL files.

scrArmUpper.stl scrLegLower.stl

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robothut

• RoboDerby

• kennetzel

• Brian..

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The head of TOM the climbing robot is just a version of the ADAM head. It just gets glues on. Eye ball it so it looks straight and glue it down.

The string Mech. can then be fitted on the main body. Large pully goes down and small empty pully goes up. The Pully axles go threw the holes in the body side. Move the arms and legs until the linkage fits around the cams on the pully axles.

DSC05228.jpg

DSC05229.jpg

DSC05230.jpg

DSC05231.jpg

There are two small LINK parts that go between the CLAWS and the FEET. The string passes threw holes in them to keep the feet and rams in position with the string. You want to glue these in so they have free movement on the string. The pictures should help.

DSC05233.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05235.jpg

DSC05236.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

DSC05238.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

A beauty, John, and such a thorough explanation.  I always thought that the toy used friction of the arms and legs to climb. Now I see that the limb movement is cleverly designed to give the illusion of climbing. I guess you could use the same technique to animate parts of the rocket and the saucer. A flame effect motor on the rocket or spinning parts on the saucer, perhaps. That's the joy of 3D printing, it enables creativity. 

I mistakenly commented while you were still posting your build details. Figured I’d paste my comment here at the end instead....

‘Soooo, still waiting on motors then I see. 

These are great John. You just can’t be stopped.

I absolutely love the exposed gears on the robot version and that color trio is a home run. I hope that you will consider incorporating this type of exposed gear feature as well as this color scheme in a future battery operated project.’

I have motors and I have done the exposed gear thing so many times in the past.

I have 1 Adam cart pushing robot left for any one interested, I have moved on to the Tom climbing robot and rocket and UFO. 3 of those prototypes to find homes for. And now I am moving on too something new.

But for those that want to build the climbing Rocket and UFO here are the STL files for the Rocket body.

StringClimbRocketBody.stl