New Moldex spacemen

ANZinSpace

Recently I purchased these 2 Moldex spacemen. Both with damage including sun fading on one. However, I bought them to get the helmets, a rare commodity for these figures.

1470429336_NewMioldexspacemen(1).jpg.fe1976b33a77ea8201dc22df754c64b8.jpg1414095293_NewMioldexspacemen(2).jpg.6b11b2e0562b6f5cd2108c02fc94ba61.jpg

After getting out a set of figures to add the helmets to and getting the helmets I already had I realised there were a couple of variations in the helmets. I found that this variation was necessary in order to fit the helmets on specific figures. If a standard helmet design had been used then for some figures the helmets would have been too loose and fallen off and for others they would have been too tight and cracked the helmet. Basically, as the image below shows there two designs where there is a flat window on one of the long sides. They differ from each other in that one is slightly narrower than the other. The one shown in the middle has flat windows on both of the short sides.

1869367733_HelmetVariations.jpg.930a4e053e1b08cfc6c836a811993192.jpg

Having spotted the variations, I then checked them out on each of the figures and unless there is another variation of helmet it would appear the two unique Australian figures in the Moldex set never came with helmets as their heads are two small to keep any of the helmets in place.

Helmeted_Moldex_Spacemen.jpg.18118a953c943b6fed17c4499e8fa713.jpg

So the robot does not have a helmet, the next two figures are unlikely to have come with a helmet, the 4th and 5th figures use the single flat window helmets and the last figure works only with the helmet having the flat windows on both sides.

The figures I put the helmets on were soft plastic as they are my most complete set.

Moldex spacemen come in both hard and soft plastics. I suspect the hard plastic ones are the earlier ones produced when Moldex was Australian owned and the soft plastic ones were made later when Triang bought Moldex.

• 4 weeks later...