Pulp Scifi Influenced "Fun In Space" Paintings

space.trucks

When I was a kid we had a few of my uncle's science fiction magazines from the 50s and the one that stuck with me longest was an unremembered publication which had a cover artwork depicting an art deco astronaut on the steps of a crumbled pyramid on a jungle planet with his crashed space ship a smoking hulk off to the side. Scoured the web for a year or three looking at thousands of pulp scifi covers and never found it. Decided to make my own.

01IMG_2137a.jpg

"Zombie Horde Shambling out of the Space Pyramid on Zombie's Hot Date to the Planet of Love", 2014, 12 x 32.

02IMG_9470a copy.jpg

Marooned on the Jungle Planet, 2014, 10x28 inches.

02IMG_9474a copy.jpg

"Fun In Space Voll.2 #5". The Marooned painting adapted into a faux magazine cover with faux stories, using the artwork created by Hipgnosis employed artists for Queen drummer Roger Taylor's 1981 solo album "Fun In Space" as the departure point & sold as prints.

03IMG_1972.jpg

Mural Event painting, fall 2014, 96x96 inches (painted on two 4x8 foot sheets of plywood).

03IMG_6223.jpg

"Fun In Space Vol.2 #8", 2015

04IMG_8604a copy.jpg

Fun In Space Vol.2 #14, 2016

05fun-in-space-v7no15.jpg

"Fun In Space Vol.2 #15", 2016

IMG_2218.jpg

"Disaster on Nimbus 3", 8x20 inches. Intended to then be adapted into a cover but it sold as-is before I could get started.

IMG_9602a.jpg

A Planet Unknown, 2016, 36 x 92 inches, painted on a hollow luan office door. Hangs in the lobby at the A-Loft Hotel in Syracuse NY.

xIMG_8917.jpg

The Bimini Road, from the "End of the World" series, 2018, 12x26 inches. By this point I'd stopped using the paints to "draw" and instead made the works by allowing the surfaces to accrete over weeks of a pass or two a day with various textured or optical effect paints. Meant to depict the lost civilization of Atlantis overgrown by seaweeds & time.

zFYOKE4609.jpg

Dutch Interior 2017, 30x68 inches on another hollow luan door.