Two new old photographs from 1962 and 1963

David Kirk

These were hidden in some old family album I'd never even seen. It almost got thrown into a dumpster but somebody spotted it. The Christmas picture is at my Grandparent's house, so I brought those two robots along from earlier that day. I got a Sparky as well, though it's not in the picture. The other is from a couple of months later. I wonder if that's my Space whale poking in on the right. I'd have a Space Conquerer a few months later to add to the shelf and a lot more soon after - 1963 was a big year for my robot collection.

robot shelf February 1963.jpg

Robots for Christmas 1962.jpg

I'd forgotten about my grandmother's Christmas tree being a Hibiscus with ornaments. I think I got an Operation Orbit game at Grandma's that year, which I still have in my attic. If you've never played it, it's pretty swell. It's a big console. You control little magnets on sticks with levers and try to snag rockets off of whirling planets. Something like that. It was pretty tricky!

• 1 month later...

Wonderful pics David.  I've been busy archiving old family pics by the hundreds onto flash drives, these days hard-copy stuff is easy for us to forget about.  

Was an genuine event when photo albums or slides were brought out usually when important company was coming by and the pics rarely seen except on those special occasions.