Anyone seen this lead pin back before? Buck Rogers?

Fineas J. Whoopie

Looks like SYNEK to me. The same seller has an unpainted example on ebay with the same marking on the back. Couldn't find anything on line connecting Buck Rogers Lead Figure with SYNEK. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-Lead-Pin-Pinback-Spaceman-Space-Astronaut-ET-Ray-Gun-RARE/273969033195?hash=item3fc9d3afeb:g:UEgAAOSwePtdVxNu

It's been a while since I had to remember such things, but I recall there being kits for molding Buck Rogers figures--in fact, I think I have some figures made from these kits somewhere in my midden-heap. (Pause for Googling.)

Yep--

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/molds-and-clamp-buck-rogers-junior-casters-set

Also--Google "buck rogers molding" and look at the Images view.

So this looks like one of the Caster's Set figures adapted to be a pin rather than a standing figure.

Originally I was thinking the paint on it might have been factory. There is a certain balance of coverage and sloppiness that says factory paint. But obviously not in this case.

• 1 year later...

Hi, anyone happen to have one of these pins or know where I can get one? I have a friend who a sentimental reason for it due to Synek. I want to buy it for him. Willing to pay a reasonable price. Any leads very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, here is the real and full interesting story on this pin. The OP was kind enough to sell it to me and I reunited it with the person who painted it in 1979. As follows:

This pin was painted in 1979 in downtown NYC by famous graffiti artist, Al Diaz. Al Diaz was part of the street art duo between himself and Jean Michel Basquiat called SAMO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAMO. 

He painted that pin himself 41 years ago from a casting made by a guy named Richard Synek who used to hang out in downtown Manhattan as part of this graffiti crew along with Al Diaz, Basquiat, etc. during the gritty times of NYC. Al and Basquiat (before Basquiat got famous) were going to sell these painted pins (1979) to earn a few bucks. Basquiat never did anything with them, but, Al painted a few of them but they got lost over the years and he's been searching for one for decades. Al and Jean Michel got into a fight about it because I think Basquiat thought Al went and did it behind his back.

The pin isn't worth much in $ terms, but, it means a lot to Al as he is the guy who painted it and the history it has for him with his old friends like Synek, Basquiat, from 1979 in lower Manhattan. Al was incredibly happy to receive this pin back and made a big post about it on his Facebook wearing the pin and telling the story with a big smile on his face. I think he thought he'd never find one in his lifetime.

Al is a friend of mine who is a good guy and has helped me out with various authentications, etc. in the past so i was happy to reunite him with his original work. Again, I don't think it has a lot of monetary value (it wasn't done by Basquiat and Al Diaz alone doesn't command big prices for his artwork), but, it has a lot of sentimental value to him.

Overall, totally interesting story. Thank you to the OP for making this post and for selling the pin to the guy who has so much sentimental attachment to it. I gifted it to Al, so, and I feel great about it.