Steel Humanoid Robot by Yasutaro Mitsui

Brian..

They're flickering leds, the sort you find in candles. They resemble valves, though I would like to find taller ones. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian..

• ROBODUDE

• Tinplate6

• Martian Gil

Brian, is it possible to create clear cast resin lamps in the valve array, and lighting them from below with LEDs? In this way, you could give them that huge bulbous vintage look that you want.

Great minds think alike, Brady. John's post about the clear resin made me take the plunge. I'm waiting for a litre of clear resin from Amazon. Should be here in an hour or two. I'm hoping to cast the row of big lamps in clear resin then paint the base black. If I illuminate from inside that should cut the bulb count to one. Then even the TINY gauge in the chest may show up.  

I'm also going to try casting a clear dome for an earlier project. It all depends how clear the resin really is. I did a trial print of the Devil Girl from Mars dome in grey resin. It is a beauty just 1mm thick, very tough, and smooth as a baby's bum. The Devil Girl also has a clear inner light that is a pain to make, so clear resin may be a great help. 

If I can get thin, clear components then I can take designs to the next level.  It should be fun.

I have  a friend that makes scale light houses. So a few years ago We did a silicon rubber mold for the lens parts and used optical clear Epoxy resin "epoxy resin sets up slower so all the air can be removed for a truly clear cast" and a pressure pot to remove the air from mixing to cast the parts. Optical clear resins are amazing to look at when you pour them in a mixing cup, its like the cup is empty but feels full. Hard to explain until you see it.

The first attempt at printing clear resin was a disaster. The part looked promising when it emerged from the printer, but a wash turned it cloudy and a UV bath turned it light brown. :scratchhead:

Back to the drawing board! I didn't realise the UV bath was so strong. 

I guess I could print the master part then use it to create a silicon mould. 

They make a clear acrylic resin that you can mold with a master--I used it several years ago and it came out crystal clear(And hard!) They sell it at art stores, If you want I will see if I can get more info and names etc...Brian--I remember its 2 part and then you mix them together and pour the parts in the mold-It gets warm and then sets up(I remember a strong chemical smell too!) Let me know if you want me to research it---It worked well I remember !

The problem is that silicone moulding introduces extra steps, and it's fiddly. Thanks for the info but I'll explore clear printable resin first. It's such a treat to press a button and have parts appear. It's modern day magic. 

Fortunately the liter of the clear/yellow/brown resin that I've just purchased can be used to cast regular parts which I'll paint. 

Yeah, I remember it being labor intensive (and smelly!)--It turned out nice though--I can see the benefits of your system! Good luck Brian!

• 1 month later...

Manmos is finally out of the way, so I can take another look at this fellow. 

Clear resin valves installed. They're much bigger and more in keeping with the original. 

IMG_4512.JPG